Chpater 4

Will leaned against the frame of the doorway, his arms folded at his chest, carefully and quietly observing the New York shadowhunters. He could clearly see who was with who now-the blonde boy Jace Herondale was obviously together with Clary Fairchild. He could see a spark of love within those golden eyes whenever she smiled or laughed at his jokes, even if it wasn't evident at all, for hiding his emotions all the time enabled him to read others like an open book.

Isabelle was together with a dark haired boy who wore rectangular glasses. Will didn't know his name before, but heard it when she had exclaimed his name with a chuckle.

"Simon!"

And then there was Alec-looking so much like Will for some unknown reason-sitting at the end of the long mahogany table eating his Chinese takeaway in silence, occasionally shooting longing looks at the two couples in front of him, missing someone.

Will knew how he felt. As he stood there watching those strangers with their loved ones, he was thinking of Tessa. He was always thinking of her.

Was it utterly insane of him when he observed that the colour of the table was the exact same shade of brown as her hair? Or fantasizing about what they could have been-like Jace and Clary, Isabelle and Simon or by the angel, Magnus and Alec-if he hadn't been so stupid to believe a lie told by a demon?

Tessa, Tessa, Tessa.

"You there?" Someone waved a hand in front of his face, snapping him out of his thoughts. It was Clary, her green eyes curious. He glared at her as a response. "Sorry. Jace here just wanted to ask a few questions."

She reached behind her to push Jace forward. He clearly looked uncomfortable.

"So... Are you like my grandpa or something?"

Will frowned. "Pardon?"

"What I meant was," Jace cleared his throat. "How do I phrase it... Will it be correct if I assumed that you are my great, great, great grandfather?"

Clary stifled a laugh beside him. "Talk to him Jace. I'll see you later." With that, she planted a light kiss onto his cheek before leaving the hallway.

It was Will's turn to feel uncomfortable. "I suppose so."

"Can you tell me more about the Herondale bloodline?" He urged.

"What do you want to know?" Will's voice was wary. He wasn't used to telling anyone about his family, but he might as well reveal his background to another Herondale. This time, his supposed 'great, great, great' grandson.

"Everything."

"My father's name is Edmund Herondale, and my mother's Linette Owens. I have two sisters... Had I mean. One of them is dead, killed by a demon," his gaze dropped to the floor as he let those words pierce through his heart like tiny daggers. Taking a deep breath, he looked back into the golden eyes of Jace Herondale. "That is the most I will tell you. You might feel honored, as even my parabatai does not know that."

Jace's eyes softened. He looked around the hallway, checking if anyone was there before he said, "Thanks. I mean," he cleared his throat again, this time with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Thank you for telling me that. If it helps... My parents died before I could get to know them. And you have no idea how screwed up my life is too."

"Tell me something," Will pushed himself off the wall where he had been leaning on. "What exactly happened to the English language?"

----

Jem wandered around the never ending hallways of the Insitude alone. Will was obviously not talking to him for now. As hard as he tried to understand him, he could not-it was frustrating at times, as well as it was saddening.

He didn't expect running into someone.

"Zachariah?" Jem's eyes widened. Why would he be in the Institude? Tessa's not exactly a shadowhunter, and Zachariah wasn't wearing shadowhunter clothes either. Jem did catch sight of a faded parabatai rune at his throat-exactly where his own rune was marked. Very odd.

"Oh I-" he fumbled for words. "I didn't think I would see you here."

"Neither did I."

They stood there in an unsettling silence before Zachariah beckoned for him to follow.

"Are you a shadowhunter?" Jem asked, walking beside the man only slightly taller than himself.

"I used to be one. Now... I am not sure."

"What do you mean?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "I became a silent brother when my life was about to end. By some unexplainable magic the runes of my brotherhood was removed just recently... And I became human again. It just doesn't feel right anymore, resuming a life-my life-that had ended so long ago. I'm a new person now. Besides, the other half of me is gone."

Zachariah touched his faded parabatai rune above his collarbone lightly, his face an unreadable mask.

"I see," Jem was sympathetic. He couldn't imagine a life without Will, his own heart and soul, the boy he had spent so many years just trying to understand. "I'm sorry. What is it like having to lose your parabatai? I cannot picture it."

"I can't put it into words, Jem," Zachariah sighed. "Perhaps it's like seeing the night sky with no moon and stars. Empty."

They reached a door where he opened, revealing a room devoid of decorations. Something on the bedside table caught Jem's eye though. He didn't understand-why was it, maybe the more important question was how it could be here, of all places? Hundreds of years after his own timeline?

"I don't believe it," Jem entered the room, trailing his fingers along the wood of his beloved instrument. "Is this my violin?"

He had formed an explanation for all of this strangeness.

"You don't recognise me?" Zachariah said jokingly as Tessa laughed softly.

No, it was pure madness. He couldn't and didn't believe it.

"Yes Jem," Zachariah came to stand beside him. "It is."

----
Two days of having a writer's block is really enough, I tell you. I spent most of the morning screaming in my mind, "THERE'S LIKE ACTUAL, REAL LIFE PEOPLE READING YOUR BOOK, WHY CAN'T YOU THINK OF SOMETHING?!"
So yeah... No kidding.
Anyway seeing people voting for my works really delights me >~<
And my book is close to a hundred reads! *Squealing harder than when reading OTP fanfics*
Thank you for reading this, really. It means so much to me *-* Actually I would like to apologize if I can't update everyday, because I have stuff going on too, but mainly it's because I need time to like visualize how the story will continue, you know?

Thanks again for reading :D