Chapter 9

The startling news was quickly reported to the New York Institude. It captured everyone's attention-or more so, interest-almost immediately. The Shadowhunters gathered in their library, where towering bookcases loomed over them with great majesty as they sat messily around their long table. Will looked around, a little disappointed. The library back in the London Institude was most likely thrice the size of this one.

"Is it true then?" Clary inquired the elf warmly. Someone had wrapped pink blanket around it, which Will and Jem found hilarious.

Dibbo's eyes twitched. He sputtered, "N-n-n..."

"What's wrong with him now? Demon pox?" Will sighed, rubbing his temple.

"It's pathetic," Jace snorted. "Not so easy trying to lie, huh?"

"Shut up! Fine! Fine! Dibbo admits everything. The Fair Folk is sick. The Fair Folk is dying, because of the thing you mortals call love," Dibbo's eyes were like open faucets. Tears streamed down from the corners of his ruby eyes uncontrollably. "I beg you, please get rid of it. We can't stand it! It repulse us! That horrid, horrid feeling. How do the humans even tolerate this deep ache in your heart all your life?"

"Believe me, I wish I couldn't love as well," Will muttered bitterly to himself. Unknowing to him, Tessa heard his every word. Her own heart seemed to squeeze painfully in her chest with guilt and the unbearable urge to just reach out to him-tell him that all is alright because she loved him, she loved him, she truly and utterly do.

A thoughtful silence filled the room with understanding. Clary and Jace's hands found each other, and their fingers interlinked. Simon wrapped one of his arms around Isabelle's small shoulder, even if she seemed to be affronted by it. Magnus and Alec exchanged a brief but comprehensive look. Lastly, Will could feel the gazes of Zachariah, Tessa and Jem burning into his sides. He wondered why.

"We don't tolerate it. We live by it," A small smile danced across Clary's features. "The more you hate against love, the more it will ruin you."

"Is that so? Is love even worth embracing?" Dibbo waved his fist into the air. "I don't care. Dibbo will fight it for as long as Dibbo lives."

"How adorable," Jace yawned, jumping off a small bookshelf he was sitting on, pulling Clary down with him in the process. "Since this conversation is getting nowhere, we'll just be heading off. For a movie or something."

When they left the library, Simon and Isabelle occupied their seat. The boy imitated sarcastically, "'For a movie or something.' Nothing have ever sounded so kinky in my life."

"Agreed. Can all the grandfathers and the grandma come over here for a second? I found something worthy of your attention," Magnus gestured towards them, a wry smile on his face. It took Will a minute to realise that he was talking to him.

"Magnus," Tessa chided. "Stop that."

"Fine. Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I have been diligently doing my homework. Take a look," the warlock snapped his fingers. A leather-bound notebook materialized, floating above their heads, and Jem reached up to pluck it out of the air. He opened it to reveal pages of spidery handwriting, written on delicate paper which had began to yellow around the edges.

"Is this a journal or some sort?" Jem asked quizzically, examining the words.

"Not just any journal, my dear Jem. It belongs to a Shadowhunter who had previously time travelled like the both of you," Magnus spoke in a hushed, entrancing voice. Everyone directed their attention to him. They always did, whenever the warlock began telling a story. "But he or she disappeared about two decades ago, and is probably dead by now. What is left is this journal, to remind the world that time-travel is in fact possible in the shadow world."