Getting the Letter

"Pandora! It's time to wake up!" I groaned as I heard Silena's voice next to my bed. I was sore from the game of "Capture the Flag" that happened last night. Clarisse had been on the opposite team. That's the last time I ally with Athena.

I sit up in my bed and looked around the cabin that I've lived in for almost 8 years now. My mom brought me to camp when I was three and I was almost 11.

Oh, my name is Pandora Estelle Black, daughter of British Wizard Sirius Black and the Greek Goddess of Love and Beauty herself, Aphrodite. Yep, that means that I'm a demigod. I'm a strange one, even by demigod standards. Dad was a wizard, making me a witch. I inherited not only my mother's abilities and demigod abilities, but I am also able to do magic. Sadly, my father wasn't in my life. He had been falsely imprisoned in the wizard jail, Azkaban, when I was just 15 months old. Mom said he was accused of betraying his friends, Lily and James Potter, leading to their deaths at the hands of Voldemort, the evilest wizard of this last century. She was certain he didn't do it, so I believed the same. Mom, despite being an Olympian Goddess, was very involved in my life. I think she favored me over my half-siblings, due to the love she had for my father.

Anyways, I was taken to Camp Half-Blood at the age of three. Mom had raised me for a year and a half on Olympus, but Zeus refused to let me grow up there. Camp was great though. I loved my siblings (except maybe Drew Tanaka, as I hated her snobby and bratty behavior) and my friends. My two best friends outside the Aphrodite cabin were Clarisse La Rue, from the Ares Cabin, and Annabeth Chase, from the Athena Cabin.

Clarisse and I had been friends since she came to camp at the age of 10. I was nine at the time and she had picked up on weapons training very quick, not surprising given her father being the god of war. I had followed her around for a whole week, begging her to spar with me until she finally caved and obliged. That was the beginning of a long friendship. I was able to keep her in line most of the time.

Annabeth came along a few years before that. We were both seven years old when she came to camp, along with the then fourteen-year-old Luke Castellan. I was determined to be her friend. She had just lost a companion on the way to the camp, so I made it my mission to comfort her. Mom wasn't too happy about me becoming friends with a daughter of Athena, one of the Virgin Goddesses, but she got over it.

"Happy birthday, sis!" Silena sang as she plopped a present onto my bed. Oh shit, it is my birthday. My siblings all gathered around to watch me open the present. Well, except for Drew, who was on her bed, flipping through a magazine and completely ignoring us. I grabbed the wrapped box and opened it. Inside was a beautiful black and red armor set.

"Holy crap!" I gasped, pulling the breastplate out and looking at it.

"Charlie made it. Well Nyssa helped with the chest part, of course but it was mostly Charlie." Silena smiled with a bit of a blush. "Charlie" was Charles Beckendorf, a son of Hephaestus, and Silena's crush. He was burly and tall but kind and gentle when not at work in the Forges or in battle training.

"Remind me to hug-tackle him later." I grinned. "This is amazing!"

Silena turned away for a moment and gasped. "Dora, get dressed! It's almost time to head to the Dining Pavilion."

I scrambled out of bed and got dressed.

That day went pretty normally, up until battle training. I was sparring with Annabeth. My hair was in a tight braid and I was sweating like crazy. Annabeth was in a similar state. Finally, I managed to disarm her and I held my Harpe at her throat with her dagger behind her neck.

"Another loss for Athena!" Clarisse jeered from where she was sparring with one of her brothers. Annabeth glared as she panted.

"Clarisse, please be nice." I said as I lowered my weapons and returned Annabeth's dagger. "Come on, Annie, let's take a water break." She and I left the arena and went towards the beach. We dipped our feet into the salty water and enjoyed the breeze coming off of Long Island Sound.