Chapter - 1 (Start to an Imperfect Fairytale)

CHAPTER - 1

                                                 START TO AN IMPERFECT FAIRYTALE

I ran a long glance at the tall red building, mightily standing in front of me. Taking a deep breath of satisfaction, realization and the feeling of happiness dawned upon me that I had finally reached my destination.

This was it. No looking back now! 

I turned around, bent over the taxi window to pay the taxi driver. He turned out to be a fine man. We had spent the last three hours in each other’s company, fixing each other’s boredom and curiosity. I handed him his due, he thanked me with a polite smile.

“All the best, Miss,” He said as he turned the key to restart the engine.

I took a step back and a silent ‘thank you’ escaped my mouth.

The sudden acceleration of the taxi blew my hair and skirt with haste. I placed a quick hand over my skirt to avoid any embarrassment. As I saw the taxi pull away, an uneasy feeling dawned upon me. It had been lurking inside of me all along but its actuality suddenly became certain.

I bit my inner lip; a habit that I had inherited from my Mum and with time had become an impulsive action to calm my nerve.

I cleared my brain of those hundred possibilities that could make things go wrong. I finally took a long sigh and walked ahead with my suitcase dragging behind, held by my strong grip. With my heels tapping against the concrete floor, I entered the red building.

                                                            ***

The doors of the lift opened with a jerk. I almost stumbled out but quickly regained my balance. At the end of the hallway stood a man in his early fifties. Age had made no repercussions on his perfect physique. Standing almost six feet tall with his silver hair pulled back neatly, his face brightened at my sight. 

“How are you, my little lady?” He said while extending his arms to welcome me.He gave me a quick hug and pulled back with a jolly expression written all over his face.

“Well – well, seems like Quinn’s only daughter did blossom into a lovely damsel,” He said heartily

I rolled my eyes in fake annoyance. Seeing this Uncle Ledger cracked up and his laugh made me laugh.

“It’s such a pleasure seeing you Uncle Ledger!” I exclaimed.

“Same here darling, same here,” Uncle Ledger replied.

Ben Ledger was my Dad’s best friend at Cambridge. After completing college both ventured into the world of business, one took up his family business and other established his own empire. Uncle Ledger was the sole reason as to why dad agreed upon letting me come to Breglen. They weren’t related or anything but were very close, thus I took to referring to him as Uncle from the start. 

My Dad and I had a deal according to which I won’t take a single cent from him, he won’t buy me a house or a car. On the other hand my dad asked me to rent Uncle Ledger’s apartment and call him at least once every month.

“How have you been?” I asked

“Younger than your dad, I think,” He replied with a smirk.

“Seems like those Botox injections are working well,” I teased.

“You bet!”

I forced myself to come up with something interesting to carry on the conversation but what escaped my mouth was least of it.
“So…..”