Chapter - 6 (Big Day)

CHAPTER - 6

                                                                                 BIG DAY

I dug deeper into my soft cushion chair, nodding absentmindedly while Ricky filled me up with yesterday’s gossip. 

“Can you believe that?” She yelped going hysterical

“Nope!” I replied, cracking my neck.

I had left home early today with a hope to reach the office by time. However, I had to accept the kick came from the brimming excitement that had plagued me since yesterday night. I didn’t get to sleep all night, yet I felt refreshed and strangely alive.

“I love you hair!” Ricky exclaimed, slipping a lock of my midnight dark tresses between her long tapering fingers.

“Thank You,” I replied nonchalantly.  

I bent over and checked the wall clock, it was five minutes to ten. I reminded myself that the meeting was at sharp ten thirty. I crouched up and looked over my cubical. There were no signs of Ashton. He never showed up while I was home and strangely, since morning I started feeling very uneasy

I straightened up and said, “Sorry, Ricky I got to go. I have some work,”

“Fine,” She answered, admiring her refection in her compact mirror.

Without wasting any more time, I hurried towards Ashton’s office.

“Morning Minty,” I said, “Here, my presentation,” I handed her my CD and gave her simple instructions about the folder. She nodded silently and got back to work

 “Has Ash-Mr. Green arrived yet?” I asked her out of impatience.

She passed me an apologetic smile but remained silent.

“Looking for someone?”

I turned around slowly and realized it was Ashton suddenly right beside me. I mentally slapped my forehead.

“Good Morning,”I greeted him awkwardly.

“Good Morning?”

“I need your assistance,” I blurted hurriedly.

“For,” He stressed.

“For, hm... for.. I need you- help for, I don’t remember!” I was truly hopeless. In truth, I did have a solid reason to come up to him but I couldn’t recall.

For a while, he stared at me with indifference, it was impossible to read his blank face.

“Sorry?” I whispered,

Sorry??? SERIOUSLY Shanaya, what was happening to you?

He chuckled, surly I had made a fool of myself. However, it was hard to control my own laughter. I took a steadying breath and look up.

“So, ready with the presentation?” he asked, smiling widely. “You are up first,”

“Yep, but frankly I am a bit nervous,” I confessed.

“That is natural. So, what is the big idea?” He enquired.

“Well, it is...”

“Just give me the basic outlook,”

“Idea is a grant promotional campaign through the support of a bigger player in market,”

“Nice, interesting...”