Chapter - 7(Chameleon Showed His True Colour)

CHAPTER - 7

                                                                                                                                                                                     CHAMELEON SHOWED HIS TRUE COLOUR

Ashton entered the meeting with Minty by his side. He passed us all a wry smile. Everybody smiled back except me. I didn’t understand why was I letting the morning’s incident effect me so bad. Natasha did tell me they both once were together. Hence, it was perfectly normal to hook up occasionally.Yet.....

Topaz passed me a friendly smile from across the table. A chill went through my spine. Her friendly smile resembled a smirk of a poisonous serpent.(provided if they ever smiled) I looked up and fixed my eyes at Ashton. He curled his lips into his signature sneer. It took me great force, to stop myself from punching his face and make his smile crooked forever.

“Good Morning Everybody!” He ushered. “Let’s get started,”

Double faced dog!

He settled down on his chair and spoke, “Topaz, you are first up,”

“What?” I gasped. I looked around nervously, to see a change in anybody’s expression. Everybody was sitting still, eyes focused at the currently white screen. I clearly remembered Ashton mentioning me that I was first to go up. I sank back, dazed and finally shifted my attention to the screen.

Something was wrong, that ugly whore!

Ashton gestured Minty to dim the lights while Topaz started her presentation. I shifted my attention to her constipated face. Who was I kidding! She was undoubtedly beautiful. On a scale of one to ten, she easily scored hundred. 

“Good morning, everybody! If we look at the consumer demand statistics, it says that women who belonged to the age group of fifteen to twenty and thirty -five to fifty are regular customers of beauty products............. Hence, the first step is to diversify our products, then label them under different sections according to age, and then skin type.......................”

My eyes widened as I stared, transfixed at Topaz’s face. I looked back at the slide. My eyes shuttled between her face and her slide. Those words......

“The big idea is a full- fledged promotional campaign through the support of a bigger player in the market.” She paused for a minute and then continued, “If  we sponsors one of the fashion shows, it would be amazing. The fashion brand in turn would promote the product by having their models to apply it.....”

My head was rotating wildly.

This was not happening, this cannot  happen,

The layouts of the slides were different but the matter, the idea and the approach everything was mine. My heart sank, and hands trembled while salty tears collected in the corner of my eyes. I looked up at the dark ceiling, fighting my tears against gravity.

With my piercing gaze, I stared down at Ashton. Never once, he looked up. He kept staring into his empty lap. I shifted my attention to Minty. It was obvious she was avoiding my gaze. She was looking everywhere ,except at me. Why was this happening to me?

My heartbeat fastened. All this while the truth was staring right at me yet my negligence choose to ignore it.

“It is just a little favour, for me.” She had mumbled into his ears.

Of course, Topaz had seduced Ashton into making her go first and therefore forced him to keep his mouth shut. In the morning, while she overheard my conversation she realized the big idea behind my presentation. Finally, she bribed or bullied Minty, to get my CD.

Nervously, I ran my fingers through my hair. What could I do now? I should have seen it coming.

I cursed profusely under my breath.

“Thank you,” Topaz finally ended. She was welcomed back to her seat with a round of applause. I could see the investors clearly ecstatic. I caught Natasha’s irritated expression as she passed Topaz a smile of fake appreciation.

Ashton shifted himself uncomfortably on his chair and whispered, “Shanaya...”

I clumsily grabbed my file and crocked, “Sorry, I am not felling well. I-I gotta go!” I forced myself up on my trembling legs and quietly scurried out. Natasha stared at me with shock, Topaz with triumphant, Minty with pity and Ashton with guilt. I chose to return their gaze with misty eyes, shouting ‘traitor’.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     ***

I sat on one of the covered shit pots in the toilet on the sixth floor. Sorrow, pain, betrayal were feelings of yesterday. Now I was fuming with raging anger. Hot salty tears streamed down my bloodshot eyes and left wet patches on my grey skirt.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I suddenly shot up, my eyes popping as my heart beat fastened. The small door was shaking and juddering frantically due to the external force been applied by some idiot outside.

“Open up! Open up!” a high pitch voice yelled. I clenched my jaw and hurriedly wiped my tears with my long sleeves. I dearly pitied the girl who had tried to enrage me further. As there was no stopping my anger now.

I kicked open the door and ran my fiery gaze around to catch the culprit. To my surprise, I met Minty’s scarlet flushed face.  She was looking up at me with visible fear.

“I – am- sorry, I-I – thought there was Raven in ther- ”Minty justified, her lips quivering while she stammered unbearably.

I was too tired too respond. She was extremely scared now. And, why won’t she be. With my long messed up hair, bloodshot eyes and badly smudged eyeliner, I might have reminded her of Bellatrix from Harry Potter.

She was just too stupid hence, I decided against indulging in an argument with her. I turned around and walked straight towards the exit.  I reached for the door, just when I saw Topaz. She was leaning against the graphite slab with her arse resting upon the edge and her perfectly toned arms pressed against her chest making her boobs look even bigger. She passed me a cold sneer and then glanced dramatically at Minty. Deliberately she ran her fingers through her glossy curls and let out a light evil chuckle.

“There was no need to apologise, Minty!” She claimed. The statement was obviously, directed at me. However, Minty shuddered suddenly. I shot  Topaz a disgusted look, sweared under my breath and prepared to leave.

Topaz suddenly turned back and said with a tone of defiance, “ Did you just say, Fuck!”

My eyebrows twitched, she was undoubtedly one stubborn hag.

“No,” I whispered slowly.

.

.

.

“I said, Fuck You!”

With this, I dashed out of the restroom with a satisfied smile curled up on my face. This wasn’t over yet.

So, what do think about Topaz ? Any guesses what will happen next ...... seems like Ashton had or still has something with Andreas. HEHEheHE :D