Chapter-10 (Ugly Truth)

CHAPTER -10

                                                                 UGLY TRUTH 

“You are late,” Topaz barked at Natasha and me. Natasha rolled her eyes in impatience. Meanwhile my eyes darted around the crowded neon lit lobby searching for a way to escape. Topaz glared at us even harder. It was hard to breath under her smouldering gaze.

She played a peek-a-boo look with a golden bra top under a black net cover up blouse paired with Turquoise-blue sleek Hermes pencil skirt. She glanced down at us with disgust. Both Natasha and I were sporting a pair of worn out denims with simple black tank tops. We both were sure that there was no possible way, Topaz would welcome any of us with her and Ashton at the front row during the Fashion Show. Hence, we knew better than to dress up like Christmas trees and show up to work our arse off.

“Cut the crap, Topaz.” Natasha scowled, “Tell us what we have to do,”

“You’ll coordinate the models and you,” She stressed at the ‘you’ directed at me. “Get to the back stage entry and coordinate from there with Ryan,”

Natasha muttered something silently and walked off to the entrance of the ramp. Various models were standing in a line according to their entrances. Their makeup was exaggerated and loud yet attractive to the eyes. I suddenly felt unwell, disoriented and turning feverish with anger. This all could have been mine. I brushed the thought off my brain, sighed and walked towards the exit.  

Ryan stood at the rear of an unlit lobby. He waved and greeted, “Shanaya, thank god you are here!”

I smiled and leaned forward to hug him. He had a walkie-talkie in his hand and a Bluetooth in his left ear. There was a small exit to the lobby from where both of us could see the fashion show. The neon lamps surrounding the ramp were casting a misty glow strong enough to silhouette the guest seated. All of them seemed to be engaged in an animated conversation.

 “Look there, Darcy and Topaz,” He said pointing out the beautiful couple seated at the front row. Ashton was wearing a sleek clean cut midnight blue coat-jacket over a white t-shirt with a pair of regular jeans. “Never knew semi-formals could be so elegant.”

I chuckled and leaned against Ryan’s shoulder, “I am so tired,”

“Natasha drove?” He asked.

“Yes,” I replied.

“No wonder,” He commented. I understood the sarcasm in his voice. Natasha was a rash driver. The three-hour drive from Breglen to New York seemed like a shortcut to heaven. One minute she would shoot up the accelerator and second later abruptly press the brakes. The results would be either an accident or a sore back.

“Why are we helping to host the fashion show?” I asked. According to Topaz’s stolen idea, we were helping the cosmetic company not the designer. Our job ended with the negotiation between the two parties.

“Last minute change, the brand also hired us as their media and advertising partners.”Ryan replied, “Tell me something,”

I straightened back and leaned against the wall to face him. “What?”

He hesitated for a moment. I saw him blush a little, “What sup between you and Ashton?” He revealed finally.

I gasped and was left gaping for an answer, “Hm-me-n-do-Ashton-really-noting,”