My Boss is my ROOMMATE

I was a born party animal. All through my teen years, I had partied late and with lots of difficulty passed my exams. I wasn’t the British version of the American cheerleader. Neither was I the usual Meg Cabot protagonist nor the girl who had a boy best friend, loved converse and loathed pink.

Let’s accept it, at some point of time we all loved pink, and heels are virtually every girl’s weakness. It’s a different thing that after wearing them for like an hour our back is partially paralyzed. For me, dresses and heels are oxygen, the essential commodity without which my life is incomplete. 

I was never very intelligent. The signs of my lack of textual IQ were easily detectable since early childhood. This had always been a cause of worry for my parents until I got a sustainable job. Dad belongs to a family that migrated from Ireland to London when he was young. He lived in extreme poverty but worked hard, got a scholarship to Cambridge and is now a very successful entrepreneur. Don’t even get me started on Mum! She came all the way from India, is too a Cambridge graduate and now a professor at Greenwich. Then I was born, their sole child who only sought after voodoos, black magic and Irish superstitions to pass her exams.

I still remember my last year at school, everybody had planned their future while  I was filling buckets of tears over regret as to why I hadn’t ever studied. Although deep inside I did know that my dad’s money would get me where I want. 

Judge me, hate me, I don’t care.

I got into a good college and did Mass communication. I was just trying to pass time, it was later that I realized how I had wasted my resources. 

After I was done with my college, unlike most kids, I ended up at my dad’s IT Company while rest of my batch mates were either studying further or working with some multinational company.

It is not like I was ungrateful or anything. It was just that I was a bit sick of my comfortable lifestyle. 

I will give you an example of my dependence. Since first grade I had my own Mercedes and a chauffeur. So even after I got my driving license, I never actually drove a car. Back then if you would have asked me to drive from London to Luton, I would have surely chucked out for I lacked experience and had very limited knowledge of traffic. 

Even at my dad’s company I worked under the advertising group where all I was supposed to do was to sleep. I am not kidding.

Lucky for me I realized early, how my future would turn if I kept doing what I did. So, I secretly applied for job at Westin advertising agency. Owing to my degree from a fancy college I bagged the job. 

Westin was America’s most popular and successful advertising firm. Recently a few months back it stumbled upon a huge loss, reason unknown to all. Thankfully, one month back it made good profits. Hence they started recruiting people for the positions earlier cleared to keep the company floating.

It’s funny how we don’t realize what harm we are doing to ourselves until you get committed to it. All those days I had spent being aloof, consuming alcohol and dancing to shitty music now seemed worthless. All those memories ran in front of my eyes like an old movie film as I ascended to the start of my new beginning.

*EDITED* However all those grammar Nazis out there if you all still  find mistakes feel free to point them out :D