twenty

Alex Karev

-

I duck at the sound, a sinking feeling making its way through my gut.

Screams echo all around me, rising over the continued gunshots.

I push myself off the ground shakily, scanning the room with half a glance.

"Arizona," I let out, ripping Eliza from her arms and heading down the hallway. "Run."

. . .

Eliza Brown

-

My eyes snap open, my vision immediately filled with black dots dancing around the corners of my eyes.

I try to blink them away, but the vertigo I'm experiencing prevents me from doing so. I shut them again, dread filling my stomach.

My skin feels clammy-- like I'd only been patted dry after a warm shower.

When the dizziness subsides, I managed to unfurl my eyelids, letting them adjust to the dim-lit room.

My eyes scan the room lazily, drowsy and dazed from the injuries threatening to take my life.

My eyes lower, landing on the needles snaking out of my arm. Arizona's eyes meet mine for a split second, but she averts them quickly, getting back to work on stitching my neck.

Someone shakes my arm, and I wince, hissing through my teeth as pain wracks through me.

Alex grabs my face gently, covering my mouth with the palm of his hand.

I squint, confused. He just shakes his head solemnly, placing his index finger over his mouth.

"Quiet!" He mouths, pointing forwards the door.

I blink, my eyes heavy under the fluorescent lights of the hospital room.

I let out a moan as something jabs the side of my neck, my back arching off of the hospital gurney.

"Shh!" Arizona whimpers, her voice desperate. "You're almost done."

The door bangs open, and Alex whips around, his face blanching.

"Put the sutures down." He demands, his voice cunning, "now."