eleven

Derek Shepherd

-

"You're the reason their dead."

Her voice hums in my head, and before I know it, my hand wraps around her torso, pulling her back like an anchor as she lunges for that little girls throat.

I almost growl, something inside me clicking as I see someone try to hurt that precious little girl.

Eliza is mine. Uh-well, not really, but-- Im not letting anyone hurt her ever again.

Eliza recoils in her bed, surround by almost everyone in the room as a defense of her scapegoating sister.

"You did this, Eliza." She says, her voice breaking from the start. "They're dead."

I eye Meredith standing behind Sawyer, eyeing me, as if telling me some hidden message.

I feel every bone in her thin body relax under my touch, replaced with a rack of shaking shoulders as she doubles over.

"They're dead, and you got kidnapped. Tortured." She grabs the counter, and I let her go.

"And we just lived our lives." Mackayla pipes in, her face solemn. "You're going to live with me."

Eliza lifts her big green eyes up to her big sisters, and I watch as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm not living with you, Macy." She says, and I can see the tears starting to glisten in her eyes.

"Yes, you can." She breaths, grabbing her scarred hand. "You are. I'm a lawyer, and I have a husband, and a son, Eliza, he's your nephew. You can live with me. You can-"

"No." Meredith says, and I can feel her heart breaking. "She can't. She has to," She hesitates, and I can hear the rising panic in her voice. "You would have to adopt her." She pauses, her gaze flickering down at the girl.

"I already adopted her." She says, although it's barely louder than a whisper, her sentence stops every beating heart in this room.