sixteen

Eliza Brown

-

"Alex?" I whisper, my sugar high crashing down to a low. "What's happening?"

He stops dead in his tracks from pacing around the room, shutting the shades and locking the door.

"Shit." He conquers, as of the reality of whatever situation is happening hit him hard across the face.

The door opens, making us all jolt.

A girl with light brown wavy hair comes in the room, closing the door quickly behind her.

"Jo, what the-" Alex starts, rushing over to her.'

"Alex, take care of the kid." She sighs, her breezy voice full of panic.

"Right," He whispers, as if acknowledging that I'm in the room.

He picks me up, holding me close to his chest. He stays there for a minute, helping Jo stack the chair and other objects in the room against the door.

I wiggle in his grip, wanting to get down.

"Let me down," I whine, struggling to get out of his death grip.

He snaps, catching me and Jo off guard. "Eliza, be quiet, okay? Listen, I know you want to get out, but we are in a very bad situation right now. So just," He pauses, opening the door to the bathroom for Jo. "Let us take care of you."

I hesitate, sighing inward to myself as I realize he's just trying to help.

I let him carry me, walking to the closet with Joe on his tail.

He lifts me over his shoulders, switching his grip from my waist to my under mid thigh as he plants me on the top of a shelf, hidden beneath a safety blanket.

"Where are you guys 'gonna go?" I whisper, shrinking back into my blanket as Alex's hand covers my mouth.

"Don't worry about it." He whispers harshly, as if a rush of memories are flooding back to him.

A pounding on the door jolts my spine, making me gasp inaudibly as we all struggle to fit in the closet.

The door breaks down, revealing the same person who kept me hostage for months, ruining me emotionally and physically.

Shattering me.

Jo moves slightly, Alex covering her mouth in an attempt to keep her from crying out.

But it was enough for him, his next action revealing what he was gripping in his hand.

He rips the closet door open, grabbing my foot and yanking it, making me fall abruptly onto the floor, letting out a shriek of pain as I land on my broken ribs, my face paling.

"You thought you could get away from me, huh? Poor sweet little Eliza." He snickers.
He locks his eyes with mine, bringing the knife down to my throat