42

Rian

"You're pulling your punches." I grunted out as I managed to duck another one of his almost pathetic swings.

Whatever had gone down behind the scenes usually wouldn't bother me, I didn't care. But when it affected how he fought it irritated me to the point where I became curious.

"Or maybe I don't wanna break my new sparring partner." He volleyed back. Even with an annoyed scowl he still buzzed with an annoying energy.

Maybe enlisting Remus as said sparring partner was a bad idea. He wouldn't focus even if it meant his life was on the line.

"Sure, sure." I brushed off before sculling down half my water bottle. Even if his tactics were lacking today it did become strenuous to stop after every hit to yell at him. 

I soon realised I needed to provoke him in a way that really aggravated him. Something that would set the all mighty Remus Slade off. After some thought and consideration, something clicked and I had divulged the most devious plan to release the beast.

"Hey, buddy, look." I snapped my fingers in his face. He had his lips around a water bottle and his head to the side but his cool blue eyes flicked to face mine. "This, right here," I pointed to the floor.

"It's a burrow. A bunny burrow!"

That really got his attention. He spun around and looked at the ground where my heavy boot lay. Confusion yet mild anticipation had captured his full attention.

"Yeah- and I'm fucking stepping on them!" I cheered. Bringing my foot up slamming my boot hard down on the wooden floor. I did this about several more times and watched as horror nestled into his features with each slam and horrifying gasp

"Stop!" He ordered but I ignored his request and kept marking the hardwood floor.

"What you gonna do about it, huh?" I challenged and watched as his horror turned to something else, something more desirable. Pure, hot rage.

He set his water bottle down and clenched his fists into hard balls on either side. He titled his neck and I heard an audible crack, before he set his jaw and tensed it. He had finally assumed his role everyone had relayed to me.

Others spoke of Remus Slade as this shadowy figure, someone who showed no mercy and who harboured nothing but rage within him. Only now was I getting to see some semblance of the legends.

Without warning he lunged at me and was quick to mask and neutralise his features, leaving nothing to decipher. Jeez, he was good at that. He displayed no signs of his next move which made his next move harder to guess.

His fist came flying to my right and I just barely managed to dodge it. He took advantage of this small window of shock and swung with his left, effectively landing one right on my chest. With the wind knocked out of me, I stumbled back and tried my best to retake my stance.

This time I was gonna be the one to catch him off guard, and in attempt to uppercut that stupid smirk off of his face, he caught my balled fist perfectly. With one- admittedly graceful- motion he used my own attack against me and twisted my hand in a painful manner, driving it down to the flesh of my stomach.

The pain shot in all directions, the wind officially knocked all the way out of me. I even wobbled on my knees which apparently wasn't enough for him. With his hand still clutching mine he spun on one foot and before I could register what just happened, the fucker donkey kicked me in the chest. I was knocked on my ass before I had a chance to tell him to fuck off.

My chest heaved with every deep intake of air I took, serving as a reminder that I had just had my ass handed to me. The impact sent a painful flare up my spine that continued to bother me even after I accepted defeat.