6

Florence

I woke up the next morning with a sharp pain in my neck. I hadn't meant to sleep on the couch but I had waited and waited for a response from Josh who hadn't given me one. I easily sent him twenty to thirty texts asking if everything was okay but nothing.

Maybe a war had broken out and here I was at home. I could've started a war. Crippling fear seized me as I shot up. Honey awoke with a startle as I began to upturn pillows in search for the remote. Surely it'd be on the news if a battle had occurred. I found the black object and switched on the tv.

The news reporters were talking about the incident at the Chamire Palace. Not a war that happened here, in Miradel.

My nerves calmed a bit knowing my friends and family weren't in danger. I didn't even think about my mom who should be home by now.

I rushed  up the stairs to the second floor- if you could even call it that. It was basically a small room that I made into my room. I rummaged around for clothes and found something decent before speeding back downstairs. I lightly knocked on my mom's door and heard a angry groan.

"I'm going into Miracle with Josh and another friend," I told her. There was another groan in response which I took as an okay to go. I made my way over to the bathroom and set my clothes onto the countertop before taking a quick shower. I was still nervous as to what 'shit' went down last night. It was entirely possible Josh was being overdramatic or maybe he was referring to something else.

Once I got out and dried myself I got changed into my clothes. It wasn't anything too flashy, just a pair of black shorts and a striped yellow and white shirt. I grabbed my phone and my bus card, tugged my shoes on and then quickly served Honey his breakfast. I left with a goodbye and quickly made my way down the street and to the bus stop.

I checked my phone, noticing a few messages from Josh.

"Clam down. I'll explain everything when we're on our way to miracle"

"don't meet at the train station. go to hotel. liza on her wae"

"Wayne*"

"fucking autocorrect"

I switched my phone off and shoved it into my pocket with a sigh. I guess my late night wasn't worth it.

I sat down at the bus stop and waited for the bus to come. I was excited to go into Miracle since I hadn't gone in a while and I heard that a massive mall had opened up. At least this day would be relaxed and not like yesterday.

**

Once I arrived at the hotel again I was nervous incase I ran into Eurus or Rian. I spotted Liza who was wearing black jeans and a light blue blouse. Again, with the colour blue. She turned her head and waved me over. "I'm glad you showed up, man. Things got fucking crazy when you left!" She exclaimed. A few heads turn our way and some parents rushed their kids along. "Like what? Josh said he would tell me what happened but he clearly isn't here yet." I sighed, suddenly feeling all sorts of nervous again.

"Well after you left the flashy looking one got up-" She started but was cut off by anither voice. "Liza, you better not be telling him about last night! We both agreed it was my job." He grumbled. She scoffed. "Sorry but I got tired of your late ass."

He placed a hand over his chest and feigned a shocked look. "Will someone tell me what happened? You scared me last night!" I seethed. He sighed. "Sorry bout that. After I texted you that surfer dude showed up and we got.. busy." He explained. Liza and I both sat down. "Gross," I grimaced.

"After you left the dragon dudes got into an argument over something. I think it was the flashy looking dude and that Remus guy who actually got up out of their seats," Josh began to talk and suddenly my brain felt all fuzzy. What were they fighting about? Why hadn't it been covered on the news, even if it was this small of an event? Though Miradel had been divided into four sub-regions the entire island was holding it's breath over this.

The media outlets had begun swarming in little at a time. Soon enough the hotel would most likely be surrounded by cameras and reporters.

"Your hag of a grandpa tried to intervene but Remus had blindly knocked him back! He must've hit him hard since he crashed into one of the table and it broke!" He stifled a laugh. How could he be laughing right now? Neil was a bad man but being shoved through a table? That wasn't right no matter who it was. "Was.. was Neil okay?" I asked. He gave me a skeptical look. "Minor concussion I think. Anyways after that people started yelling at accusing others of who instigated it."

I ran my hand down my face. How could all of this happened? Surely now there was no chance of a treaty and years of war were going to continue.

"Hey, don't let it get you down," Liza chimed in. "We're going to Miracle! We're going shopping and I don't give a rat's ass if you're sad about your grandpa or whatever," She got up and pulled me up with her. "No offence or anything." She quickly added. "No it's okay. A battle hasn't broken out yet so I guess things are fine for now." I tried to seem convincing.

"And your grandpa?" She asked. Clearly she hadn't caught onto the fact that I disliked Neil and let Josh slag him off. "Like you said. I don't give a rat's ass." I joked. She snorted before we all started walking over to the exit.

"Why'd we meet here anyway?" I asked Josh. He shrugged. "Closer to the train station."

I pursed my lips into a thin line. Josh and Liza started talking again while I thought about the city. Miracle was in the middle of the island, smack bang on the neutral zone of the three other sub-regions that were controlled by each dragon tribe.

Woah. Look at me go, I do know something about supernatrual shit.

It was named Miracle because of the fact that it remained the same without any of the dragon tribes trying to take over. There were a few protests but they were mainly peaceful and licensed.

"I invited some other of our friends too, Flo. We really needed to catch up with them," Josh sighed. After highschool I lost contact with most of my friends other than Josh. I tried figuring out why but I just couldn't remember. "Like who?" I asked.

"Sal, Leo and I think Travis." He named. I remembered our small group of friends and the little dramas. The times we snuck out together and the occasion or two we got wasted. I was excited to see them. "I haven't seen Sally in so long. I still haven't forgiven her for throwing up on my cat." Liza snipped. I laughed at the memory. 

Josh and Liza left through the doors but I was stopped by a shout. I looked over my shoulder to see probably the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Rian came over with a little old lady attached to his side. "You. Where are you going?" He asked. I blinked at him, then again as if he were a mirage. "E-Excuse me?" I stuttered.

You've got to be kidding me. I can't go one single day without one of them showing up. "I said where are you going?" He said loudly as if I were hard of hearing. Like, hearing-aids heard of hearing. His grandmother slapped his side and mumbled something.

"If you're going to Miracle I'm coming with you." He stated. "Mainly because my grandmother would like to go see it and I don't trust anyone else to take her but me." He quickly explained before pushing past me and outside.

Can't I have one normal day?