Chapter 58 - Mom

"Open your eyes." I tapped her shoulder, backing away from the full mirror. I had been working on her for the past couple of hours, making her hair look perfect and placing decorative gold butterflies in it. Her black dress complemented her skin perfectly, and she truly looked like a goddess. You're welcome.

Her mouth fell open slightly as she admired my work, twirling around in the dress and carefully adjusting the butterflies in her hair. She wore no makeup, as she didn't need it. Her skin was perfectly clear, her eyelashes black and long. She was perfect. I took a lot of pride in how she appeared, and I was still in sweats and a baggie hoodie that may or may not be Alex's. He refused to let me wear my crop top last night after he snuck into my bath, so I took his hoodie.

"Go get changed." She nodded at me, her eyes a little unfocused. I nodded, leaving the room and letting her have her moment. It took me five minutes to change and fix up my makeup. Zenna had done my hair before I even started on hers, and the brown locks were glossy and seemed to glitter when I moved. A singular braid fell down the side of my head, the tinsel weaved into it the same color as the butterflies in Zenna's hair. It was a basic white girl hairstyle, but the rest of my hair was curled to perfection, and I loved it. The light strands of gold made my hair look so pretty I nearly liked it. Unlike zenna, I had make-up on. The concealer nearly did its job, but if you looked for it, you could see my scar. Other than that, I only had a little chapstick and mascara on. I hated wearing make-up because of how sticky it made me feel, but lately, I needed it for my mental image of myself.

My dress was white. I felt weird, being the one wearing white at a wedding. It was a very small wedding, and so I would be the only girl in white. Alex was wearing black, just as Aron was wearing white, and Zenna black. Everyone at the wedding knew Alex and I were together, but I was a little nervous about "matching" with him. Naturally, after our bath last night, we got dirty again. I don't think my poor legs will ever get a break. The dress flowed around my arms in elegant princess sleeves, the bodice simple but tight, and the shirt flowing. It was all a solid white, and simple, but it was beautiful. It was floor-length, and my legs were yelling and screaming at me as I put on the heels, but I felt beautiful. Plus, the dress had pockets.

Alex and I talked last night, and we set out a plan. He was going to help me with my mental state, but only if I agreed to help myself. He said that if he ever caught me having a bad thought about my scars or my past, we would talk it out and he would punish me. I wasn't sure what he meant by talking it out, but I was grateful non less. I could tell I was slowly recovering, and while I may never be completely okay, I'll be happy. I'll have nightmares and the scars for the rest of my life, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

I only care about one thing for the rest of my life. And as I fingered the ring in my pocket, I couldn't help but smile as I caught sight of my scar again.

I adjusted my hair one last time before walking back into the room where Zenna was. She was sitting down on the waiting bench, nervously playing with her fingers.

"You ready for this?" I asked, she nodded without looking up, and I laughed. "Relax, it's only a life-long commitment." I handed the flowers to her, pulling her off her ass and onto her feet. She touched her hair, closing her eyes and trying to fight a smile.

"Shut up." She grumbled, looking up at me. She gapped, her eyes skipping all over my dress, and I pursed my lips, looking down and playing with the ring around my neck. Alex refused to let me take the thing off, not that I was complaining.

"You look so good." She giggled. I grinned, signaling to the lead music thingymajijjer to start playing. The music echoed around the hollow space, and Aron and Alex looked up from where they were having their bromance moment at the altar. I quickly stepped away from the entrance to the aisle, waiting for my cue in the music. I pulled Zenna into a hug rubbing her back and trying to quickly soothe her nerves. My hands were a little shaky, and I had a bad feeling in my gut, but I pitted it down.

Zenna has done so much for me. She held me like a mother would when I was being tortured, and then she stayed by me like a true friend in the aftermath. She helped bring Ivor down from the inside, and she protected me when Alex was making a safe place for me. She has lied to me and fought with me, but I couldn't ask for a better friend. If Aron hurts a single curly hair on her pretty head, he will be choking on his dick.

"You ready?" I checked one last time. When she nodded, I let her and stepped out of the room.

There was no flower girl. Not anyone except us four and the priest.

But it might as well be as if it was just my future and I. The ring in my pocket seemed to grow heavier as Alex's eyes met mine and stole the breath from my body.

"You look perfect." He mouthed. I fought the blush that threatened to make its way up my face as I stepped closer to the alter. I stood to the side, unable to tear my eyes away from Alex. He winked at me, and I smiled back at him, finally looking down the aisle as the music changed yet again.

Zenna stepped out, and I swear, the room brightened. Aron sucked in a breath as his beautiful bride made her way to him. She stepped onto the altar and handed her flowers to me. I held onto them as the priest started his speech. I don't know how long he spoke. I can't remember anything of what he said. All I knew was Alex's blue eyes on mine, Trapping me and loving me and calming me and centering me.

And suddenly, I knew I was going to do it.

Alex loved playing with my hair, and he loved wearing suits. He loved my laugh and the rain. He loved all things dark and the way LED lights looked in dark rooms. He loved money and power. He was the total opposite of me, but I fucking loved him.

"If there is anyone to protest the union of these two lovely souls, speak now or forever hold your face.

A gunshot tore my eyes away from Alex.

"I protest." A stern feminine voice distorted the wedding. I dropped Zenna's flowers, pushing her behind me and pulling out my gun. Alex and I stood together in front of the couple, covering them and the priest. Alex wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me into his side. Of course, he held the gun perfectly with one hand. The couple behind us didn't bring any weapons, so we guarded them together.

"Step out," I demanded, making sure the finger on my trigger wasn't slipping.

"Mom?" His voice cracked.