23. Special

Present time, London...

What shocked Jacob the most now was still the fact that she didn't remember her father's death. Ariana didn't remember it, but she had watched her father dying when it happened.

Jacob bit his lip, drumming his pen. He kept his glasses on and looked at Ariana.

He was about to destroy her, he knew.

"How did he die?" Ariana's lips trembled and he watched them.

"He was killed...We're investigating it," Jacob half lied. He knew. He knew the way Bernard Johnson was killed and who did it.

There were four witnesses when it happened, one of whom was Ariana. She was, fortunately or not, the witness who didn't remember. Jacob of course didn't witness the murder.

"Ariana. You're still able to stay focused, right?" Jacob quizzed, honestly concerned. He had, fortunately, a way of getting around this while being able to postpone the truth until the end.

The truth was still blurred though, even for those who knew all there is to know about the Big B. murders and didn't suffer of amnesia like Ariana. That's why this interrogation was crucial.

Ariana's insight was crucial to getting to the bottom of this, and they were so close.

"Jacob, there's too much I don't know. You're keeping everything away from me!" Ariana slapped her hands on the table and stood up violently, her lips expressing fury.

"Ariana please sit down-"

"How did my father die?!" she started crying, her tears falling down hastily. She went berserk quickly and walked to the door and started fumbling with the handle. It was locked of course, but she couldn't stand it anymore.

She had to escape the physical captivity...

Suddenly then the door opened with the advent of two guards who came to restrain Ariana.

"Let me go, I need to get out and see my father-" she said, while the two guards still struggled. Unbeknownst to many people, Ariana knew some Taekwondo so she practically half-cartwheeled right there, kicking both men away from her.

"Miss Johnson!" Jacob stood up and rushed towards her, catching her before she could make a run for it. That would only put her in more trouble, and he would also be blamed.

The guards were then recovering, one of them holding the handcuffs. They knew she was a detective but they were prepared to treat her like a prisoner.

"You'll be in trouble for this-"

Ariana only then realized how bad her outburst was, turned around towards Jacob and threw her hands up around his neck. She started crying right onto his chest, while he was immortalized. With a hand, he rubbed her back.

"Leave her alone with me right now. She meant no harm, I was careless." Jacob ordered the guards. Ariana's face was lost, drowned in tears.

She had never thought she could cry like that if her father died.

"She's a criminal and she's having a violent outburst sir. We have to take her and lock her up."

Jacob's eyes slightly widened. He wouldn't have that.

"She's Ariana Johnson, a detective, and she's innocent until proven otherwise. She's lost everything she had so of course she'd react like that. Now leave us alone."

"But sir-"

"She won't do anything rash. Now Ariana, are you still up to continue this today?" Jacob looked into her eyes with a grave but friendly look.