Ch. 14 Announcements

"Like, all of us?" Shoko asked.
  "Yeah," Satoru confirmed.
  "Did you do something?" Suguru questioned.
  "Why would you think it's MY fault??" The white haired boy defended.
  "Because you always get us into trouble." I responded. Satoru just gave a "hmph" and crossed his arms.
  "Well, before everyone started ATTACKING me. Yaga wants to see us all in his office when we get back." He motioned for us to head out, the auxiliary agent already waiting for us.
  Most of the car ride was spent with us talking about what Yaga wanted to see the 4 of us for. As we entered back into the school, I saw Dazai waiting off to the side. I told the group to go on ahead of me as I jogged to wear Dazai stood.
  "Is there something wrong?" I asked, his face was a bit contorted with indecision.
  "No, nothing of the sort. Are you free right now, Mai-sama? There is something that needs to be discussed with Tatsuya and ourselves."
  "Oh, actually I was headed to Yaga's office. He called the 4 of us in, is it urgent?" I quickly filled in.
  "Ah, no attend to your meeting first. This can be discussed after. Tatsuya and myself will be waiting at your dorm." He patted my shoulder and headed towards the dorm rooms. I shrugged it off and ran to catch up with my classmates.
  "Am I late?" I asked, peeking my head into Yaga's office. Satoru, Suguru, and Shoko were already seated at the desks. Yaga leaned on his desk with his arms crossed.
  "No, they explained what happened beforehand. Go ahead and take a seat." I scurried over to the empty desk next to Shoko.
  "I apologize for calling you in during your day off, but I figured this is something you'd all like to hear as soon as it was decided." Yaga began. The 4 of us sat in silence, waiting for him to reveal what was so important.
  "To keep it short, you've all got some good news." We all let out some quiet cheers.
  "Shoko, you're staying as a Second Grade." Shoko looked relieved? I suppose she didn't want to rank too high. "But your reversed cursed technique is gaining a lot of attention from the higher ups, they want to look more into your potential."
  "Mai, you are now a First Grade Sorcerer." I nearly leaped out of my chair in joy. Finally! Now I can actually take up the title of Head of my clan! Shoko shot me a thumbs up while the boys gave me high fives.
  "As for you two," Yaga looked to Satoru and Suguru. "You are both now Special Grades." Our cheers fell silent.
  "What!?" Shoko and I said in unison.
  "Satoru, you posses both the Six Eyes and Infinity. As you mature, so will your power. It's a given that you were to be labeled as a Special Grade." He explained. "Suguru, in honesty, the higher ups are afraid of what you can accomplish as you learn to master your technique." Yaga paused. "I wouldn't take this new rank as something of an achievement, think of it as you two being watched." He warned the boys. "Alright, you guys are dismissed." We began to head to the door when Yaga called out. "Mai, stay back for a bit." I waved at my friends as they left.
  "Close the door." Nervousness suddenly shook through my body. Had I done something wrong? I slid the door closed and sat back down in the desk.
  "Relax, you aren't in trouble." He reassured me. I let out a sigh.
  "Then what's wrong?" I urged for information.
  "I'm not gonna beat around the bush; there was a bit of an indecision when it came to your rank." He explained. I looked at him quizzically.
  "What do you mean?"
  "The higher ups couldn't come to an agreement on whether you should have been a First Grade or labeled as a Special Grade." I was dumbfounded.
  "Special Grade? Me?"
  "Yes." Yaga took in a breath. "Since your time here at the school, you have only flourished into your technique. As well as your physical prowess. There is no doubt that you are strong, and you are beginning to really understand your own cursed energy." He took his sunglasses off. "Because of this, the higher ups are getting nervous by what exactly it is you can do. When you fought the curse at your home, how much of your curse technique were you able to draw out?" He questioned.
  ".. 40%" I quietly answered.
  "And what are you able to do now?"
  "I.. don't know. That was the first time I've ever used more that much power."
  "You haven't been on a riskier mission since, but I want you to challenge yourself. See just how much you are able to draw out now. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll be able to increase it in the 3 years you'll be in this school, but that is also where the higher ups are concerned. You were able to exorcise the curse, if Satoru hadn't intervened, with only 40% of your power. Who knows what you'll be able to accomplish with 60 or more. Do you understand?" I took a minute to process everything he just told me.
  "The higher ups... see me as a threat?"
  "Yes." I blinked. Shocked by Yaga's bold answer.
  "Then why did they settle on just First Grade?"
  "Because it is still unknown when exactly you'll become that threat. I'm sure it will change once you are older, but for now that is what they have decided."
  I sat in silence for moment, I just nodded my head to signal that I had understood what he told me.
  "Is.. there anything else?" I hesitantly asked.
  "No, nothing else like that.. but," my gaze fixed on him. "Your sister, Mafuyu, there have been some.. complaints.. coming from some of the other Shaman on campass."
  "Complaints?" I was confused. We tried our best to keep her quiet and out of everyone's things, but things do happen.
  "Some of the Auxiliary Agents and the lower classed Shaman have all said that when mafuyu is around, they have felt drained. Not so much from her personality or energy, but they felt like their cursed energy was nearly depleted." My eyes widened in shock.
  "Wait.. like..?"
  "Is there a technique like that in your family?"
  "Not that I know of.." I answered while in thought. "I've only known of being able to implant ones cursed energy into other non-cursed energetic things, not stealing someone's cursed energy as a whole. And from my dad's side it has always been the Push technique." I explained. "Plus, isn't Mafuyu too young to already be manifesting her technique?" I asked.
  "Just as there's late bloomers, there are some that experience it much earlier than others." He put his sunglasses back on. I just wanted to alert you, do what you can to help her learn how to use it. You're free to go." He dismissed me. I gave my thanks and left with a small bow.
  I quickly left Yaga's office and ran towards my dorm. Passing by some of the staff and other Shamans that called the college their home and workplace. As I turned into the dorm building I nearly ran into Satoru.
  "Woah! Where you in a rush to?" He grabbed onto my shoulders to keep me from falling.
  "Oh jeez, sorry. Was heading to my room. Thanks for not letting me fall." I replied.
  "Well, wouldn't want that pretty face to get hurt, now do we?" He said as he left the building. I registered what he said and yelled after him.
  "Don't use my lines against me!" I walked to my dorm in a huff. I opened the door to see Tatsuya and Dazai sitting down at the small table that adorned my room.
  "Ah, there you are." Dazai stood to greet me. "Sit, we have some news to share." I sat at the table, still a bit apprehensive with Tatsuya.
  "Before we begin, Tatsuya if you would." Tatsuya pushed herself back from the table and faced me. She bowed low, head nearly touching the ground.
  "Tatsuya?! What are you doing??" My hands coming in front of me, unsure of what to do.
  "Mai-sama, the things that I said to you yesterday and the behavior that I exhibited were rude and unforgivable. I am truly sorry for speaking out of line and assuming something that wasn't taking place. I sincerely apologize for not taking your thoughts and feelings into account, My Lady." She finished.
  "It's alright, please raise your head." Tatsuya sat on her knees. Her gaze still downward cast. I scooted close and wrapped my arms around her. "Thank you, I accept your apology." I could feel her body relax, her arms coming up return the hug.
  "Good," Dazai broke the silence. Tatsuya and I letting go of each other and settling back in our respective spots. "Now the reason we wanted to meet with you, Mai-sama, is because he have gotten word back from both the Kamo and Gojo clans." My body tensed.
  "What have they said?" I anxiously asked.
  "The Kamo clan has no interest in arranging a marriage." Dazai answered. I let out a loud sigh of relief.
  "The Gojo Clan, however," Tatsuya spoke. "Wishes for you to marry their current heir, Satoru Gojo."
  I let out a groan and let my head fall onto the table. I heard Dazai chuckle as Tatsuya rubbed my back to soothe me.
  "You didn't happen to refuse for me.. did you?" I hoped.
  "I'm sorry, Mai-sama." He gave me an apologetic look. "We are to have a formal meeting, but you are allowed to refuse as I believe that the Gojo boy will refuse as well."
  "Really?!" I shot up in excitement.
  "Yes, and we have already prepared a Kimono for you. I believe it will be much more to your liking." Tatsuya chimed in.
  "To be completely honest," Dazai cut in. "I believe the Gojo Clan is only doing this to keep up appearances."
  "Can't let the Zen'nin's one up them, kinda deal?" I stated. "When is the meeting?"
  Dazai hummed in agreement.
  "The meeting between the Gojo Clan and the Yamazaki Clan will be held on the 18th of this month."
  "the 18th?" I checked my phone to see todays date. August 15th. 3 days, again. I let out a huff..
  "Well, that was way more pleasant than I thought it'd be." I threw my arms in the air and let myself fall back, laying on the floor.
  "Oh!" I shot back up with a wide smile. "I've been promoted in rank!"
  "What?!" Both Tatsuya and Dazai yelled out, eyes wide with anticipation.
  "Yes! I'm now a First Grade!" I cheered.
  "Oh that is wonderful news, My Lady!" Dazai beamed.
  "Congratulations, Mai-sama! You are one step closer to becoming a respectable Head to our clan." Tatsuya proudly announced. "And, how are you feeling about that?"
  ".. Honestly, I was kind of scared and felt really intimidated by it all. But now that it's getting closer and closer, I feel like I'm ready for it?" I answered.
  "And you very much are. Of course, there are still some things that we need to learn, but that will come during." Dazai reassured.
  Tatsuya and Dazai began to talk about what I'll be learning now that the inauguration is officially commencing. They talked about what the ceremony will entail, how I'm to act during, and a bunch of other things. It went on for a couple minutes, but we were soon quieted by the sound of knocking coming from my door. I got up and stretched, then made my way to the door.
  "Ye- oh, hey Satoru." I opened the door wider. "What're you doing here? Thought you left."
  "Yeah, had a quick mission. It was weak though, so it ended quickly." He replied, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Sooo, ya busy? Thought we could hang out for a bit."
  "Oh- uhh hold on," I looked back at the small table, Tatsuya and Dazai already getting up to leave.
  "Don't worry, My Lady, we were already taking our leave." Dazai said.
  "Don't you do anything with Mai-sama, ya hear?" Tatsuya warned Satoru. He just held his hands up in defense.
  "Did I interrupt something?" He asked.
  "Nah, we were done talking." I waved to my clansmen as they made their way down the hall. "So, what's up?"
  "Was bored, thought I'd grace you with my presence." Satoru answered, making his way towards my bed. He made himself comfortable and grabbed the remote. "Wanna watch a movie or anything?"
  "Anything good on?" I asked, sitting down next to him. We scrolled through the channels before deciding on an old slasher movie that played nearly every weekend. The faint screams and slashes played from the TV, it was already halfway through. Satoru shifted on the bed so that I could lay down with him.
  "So," he called out to me. "You and Suguru?"
  "Huh?" I asked, genuinely confused.
  "I heard you guys last night, he asked you on a date."
  "Oh.. yeah, he did.." I softly replied.
  "So, are you gonna? He's a nice guy." He propped himself up on one arm, looking right at me.
  "I.. don't really know. He is really cute and we do get along well, but.." I trailed off.
  "But..?" Satoru insisted. I didn't really know why exactly I was hesitant to date him other than the stress I had. It was true, I did think Suguru was handsome and I wouldn't really mind being with him. There was just something that was stopping me from really doing it.
  "I guess I'm just kinda.. scared? Unsure? I don't know. I really like Suguru, he's a great friend. Maybe I just don't wanna ruin that?" Satoru gave me a thoughtful look.
  "Is it really just that? I doubt you two going on one date would ruin the friendship you already have. He's a big boy, he'll get over it if you're not into him like he is with you." I mean, he was right. Suguru was mature enough to take no and let go of it.
  "That's true, but I don't want to hurt him and make things awkward." I huffed.
  "You talk about wanting to kiss Shoko all the time, how is that not awkward?" He asked.
  "Well that's because we're just kinda joking around. Shoko is really pretty, but we're not interested in actually dating each other."
  "Are you interested in dating Suguru?"
  "Well... yes? I do want to see if we're compatible, but I keep thinking of the 'what ifs', ya know? I don't think it'd be fair to him if I'm not completely interested." I explained.
  "Then what about me?"
  "What?" I looked over at him.
  "Are you interested in me?" He boldly asked. His sunglasses were off and he was staring right into my eyes. Oh. He was serious.
  "I mean, yeah?" I answered honestly. "You're really cute too, but you are also notorious for being a one and done kinda guy."
  "Well you got me there." He said laying back down. "Well, with the whole arranged marriage thing going on with our families, maybe it isn't a bad idea."
  "I thought you didn't want to get married?"
  "Oh, God no. I don't."
  "Then why would we date?"
  "Because you're really pretty, too." He gave me a smug smile. I nudged at him.
  "Nice to know you'd date me for my looks."
  "What can I say? I'm a man of taste." He paused for a second. "But really, would you?"
  "Go out with you?" I asked. He just nodded.
  "...maybe. Things aren't exactly the easiest right now. Plus, I promised Suguru first dibs."
  "Ughh." He complained. "Well, at least I get to see you in an actual kimono before him."
  "Yeah, yeah. If I'm wearing traditional dress, then you better be too."
  "Those old bastards would force me to wear one anyway. Are you wearing your family's colors? Actually, what are your family's colors?" He spoke quickly.
  "Slow down a bit. My family's color is green. I probably will be wearing it, Dazai and Tatsuya said that they prepared one for me to wear already."
  "Ohhh, gonna get all dolled up for me then?"
  "Oh, yes. Just for you. Then I'll proclaim my love for you and give you big kiss to seal the marriage."
  "Well I don't know about all that," he chuckled. "But a kiss sounds nice."
  "Oh, then do you want one?"
  "Wait, really?" I thought it over for a second. I was just teasing him, but who knows what kind of reaction I would get.
  "Sure, why not. Close your eyes." He was quick to do what I told him. I shifted on the bed so that I was over him, my right arm supporting me. I used my free hand to cup his cheek. I turned his head towards me and leaned in. I saw Satoru's lips twitch, my breath fanning over them. He raised his head to meet my own faster. Before our lips touched, I turned my head and kissed the corner of his mouth.
  "Hey! You said you'd give me a kiss!" He shot up.
  "I never said where." I snickered. Which only made the boy cross his arms and pout. I patted him on the shoulder. "If we ever go on that date; I'll start it off with a proper kiss, okay?"
  "Really?" He asked skeptically.
  "Yes, really." I reassured him. "Now shush, I wanna watch the movie."