Ch. 17 Inauguration

More than a month has passed already. Regular school assignments were handed out and often left forgotten due to the amount of missions we were handed.
  The 4 of us still went on regular missions together. Sometimes it was just Satoru and Suguru, leaving Shoko and I to do our own assignments as a pair.
  I studied like mad for the last month, reading through meeting procedures and dealings within my clan.

  "Mai-sama, are you ready?" Tatsuya knocked on the sliding door. I took in a shaky breath.
  "No.." I heard the familiar sound of the door sliding open.
  "Is there something wrong with the junihitoe?" Her shrill voice came from behind me. I stared at my reflection as I fidgeted with the sleeves of the kimono.
  "No.. it's not that.."
  "Then what?" She pushed for an answer.
  "I'm just.. nervous? What if I mess up? What if I'm not fit to lead the clan?" I turned to Tatsuya.
  "Oh my dear girl," she gently cupped my hands. "You never truly feel ready. This was sprung on you at such a young age, so having these worrisome thoughts is normal. But, I know that you will be an exceptional leader for us. You have so much of your mother's tenderness and your fathers bravery. You will not be alone in this, you have both Dazai and I to help you along with this new title. We are lucky to have been able to serve under your parents. And I was fortunate to have been with the clan since the leadership of your grandparents. You have the wisdom of your ancestors right next to you. Chin up, you are more than fit to be the Head of the Yamazaki Clan." I smiled at her words of encouragement.
  "..how many people are out there?" I questioned.
  "The remainder of our clan, and 1 other guest." My eyebrows knitted together.
  "A guest? I thought the ceremony was closed off to only those that are apart of the clan?"
  "Yes, normally that is what we would do. But, he is rather.. influential, to turn away." This only made me more confused.
  "Who??"
  "Gojo Satoru." Tatsuya grumbled out.
  "Huh!? Why does he even want to be here? I thought these sorts of things were boring to him." I sighed out.
  "In his words, 'it's good to have an elite clan's next in line to witness such an event,'" Tatusya mocked. I chuckled at her terrible impersonation of the man.
  "Well, it doesn't matter anymore. He's already here, and he's too stubborn to leave. He'll more than likely get bored and go off to do whatever he wants." I said, mostly to myself.
  "Mmm, I suppose he would." Tatsuya replied. "And how are you feeling now, My Lady?"
  "Better, thank you." It was partly true. I didn't feel nervous about the ceremony anymore, but now I was anxious about Satoru.
  "Come, let me brush your hair a bit more. Then, we shall begin the ceremony."
  Before Tatsuya could even pick up the hair brush, we heard shuffling and bickering coming from the other side of the door. Hushed voices that were barely audible, but I could still pick up a few words. "My Lord," "please," "You mustn't," and among a few others. Then a knock came before the door was harshly slid open.
  "There you are! Wow, that's a real get-up."
  "Seriously? You couldn't wait 5 minutes? We were about to go.." I sighed out. Satoru just shrugged and sauntered over.
  "Well I just wanted to see you," he charmed.
  "Yeah, sure. You just wanted to make fun of me." I retorted.
  "Well, at first," he smirked. I just rolled my eyes at him. "But, as always, you made even that dated thing look nice."
  "Oh.. well.. thank you," I was caught off guard by his compliment.
  "Mhmm. Now, how long is this gonna take?"
  "Maybe 10? 20 minutes? I'm just making an oath and then lighting a fire."
  "Ohhh arson? I'm in." He cheered.
  "No you dumbass,"
  "Mai-sama!" Tatsuya scolded.
  "Apologies. Anyway, it's more of an offering to the ancestors and a 'passing of the torch' kinda thing." I quickly explained.
  "Then why did you have to get all dressed up for something that's so short?" Satoru questioned.
  "It's still a formal event, this is just a tradition thing now. I'm gonna change out of it once everything is over."
  "Then wanna grab food after? I'm kinda hungry."
  "Apologies, Gojo-sama, but Mai-sama is not able to leave the property until the next day. We are also holding a banquet, you are free to eat here." Tatsuya cut in.
  "Aw, what? You can't leave?" Satoru turned to me.
  "Yup, it's basically just me showing that I am loyal to my duties and taking responsibility of leading."
  "Well that kinda blows. No offense." He turned to Tatsuya.
  "None taken." She held up a hand in reassurance.
  "Well, should we just get on with it then? Since it's short I can just hang out with you for the rest of the day." Satoru suggested.
  "Sounds good," I happily agreed.