Ch. 18 Second Years

What the fuck did I just do. I quickly pulled back and began to stutter.
"I.. I'm...I..uh.." my mind was racing, what the fuck do I even say to that? Satoru didn't move, the same surprised expression on his face.
"I'm sorry.. I didn't mean.."
"You didn't mean to kiss me?"
"No, I.. I mean.. yes. I did mean to do that, but I- uh.." I gave up on any kind of explanation, looking down in embarrassment.
"Do you regret it?" He asked. I quickly looked back to him, nearly giving myself whiplash.
"No!!" I yelled out a bit too loudly. I covered my mouth, a fruitless attempt to quiet the shout. "No, I don't regret it.. I just shouldn't have done that."
"Why not?" I looked back over to him. His eyes almost blinding from the curiosity they held. I couldn't help but let out a weak laugh.
"Not only did we just tell my clan that nothing would happen, but only a few weeks ago we said we didn't have any interest in each other." I explained.
"Yeah, but that's for an arranged marriage. We never said anything about dating." He tried to defend. He put his hand over my own.
"Satoru," I pulled my hand away. "We both know that isn't how it'll be seen." I let out a groan. "They'll think we reconsidered the whole arranged marriage thing and would try to get us to tie the knot. I do like you, I really do, but I'm not exactly certain that you'd be okay with a commitment to me."
"What do you mean?"
"You're such a player! You go on dates with multiple women a week, hell I've even seen you go on 3 different dates in a day! Three! Are you even ready to give that up for more than a few months??" I questioned him.
"..I suppose not." Satoru sat back, really thinking over what it was I was saying.
"I like you, I wanted to kiss you, but I also know that if we started dating right now it wouldn't really work out." I spoke softly. "I don't regret the kiss, I just regret the timing."
"So, if things were different.." he paused.
"If things were different." I agreed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I don't want to make things complicated or anything like that, but I think it'd be a good idea if we kept a bit of distance for now.." I got up and took a blanket that was left discarded to the side, along with a pillow. "I'll sleep over here for the night."
"..Okay." I could tell by his tone that he didn't want me to leave, but I was thankful by the fact that he was respecting my boundaries. To be honest, I didn't want to go either. I would love to be in a relationship with Satoru, but.. he's not one for commitments. At least, not now.
"Goodnight, Mai.." I barely heard him.
"..goodnight, Satoru."

Over the next few months, we avoided each other. Honestly, it wasn't intentional. We just ended up having more separate missions than what we previously had. I went on more and more missions with Shoko, while Satoru would be with Suguru. I haven't told Shoko about what happened that night, I still don't even know how to think about it without getting upset. I pushed the feelings that I had for Satoru down and focused on the new responsibilities that I gained.
Before I knew it, it was the new school year.

"Come on, come on!" Shoko pulled on the sleeve of my uniform.
"I'm coming. Jeez. Stop yanking so hard, your gonna rip it." I huffed behind her.
The only reason Shoko was so excited was because it meant we got to see the new First Years. From what I heard, there were only 2.
"Oh, there's Satoru and Suguru!" I frowned a bit at the mention of Satoru. I don't know where we stood. We haven't really been able to talk, so it's been awkward between us. At least, I thought it was.
"Hey!" Suguru called us over. "How was your spring break?"
"Not much happened, hung out with Mai here and there." Shoko shrugged.
"Same here. Celebrated Mafuyu's birthday a bit early this year." I replied.
"Can't believe you didn't let us come over to celebrate too." Satoru pouted.
"I already said you guys can come on her actual birthday. And don't get her too many things, Tatsuya and Dazai already got her a ton of toys." I replied, ignoring his pouts.
"How old is she gonna be now? 4?" Suguru asked.
"Mmhm, she's been kind of a pain."
"What do you mean?" Shoko questioned.
"It's her technique. Remember how people started to react around her last year? Now it's become a bit of a problem." I sighed out. "She can't control it yet, so she accidentally affects some of the clansmen. It's gotten to the point where we kind of have to isolate her so that she doesn't drain someone.. I feel bad."
"Have you guys figured out what exactly her technique is?" Suguru asked, we all began to walk towards the classroom to have our 'entrance ceremony'.
"The complete opposite of our family's technique. She can steal cursed energy."
"Oh, damn." I heard Satoru say. "Must suck ass for the people who have little cursed energy." I just groaned in agreement.
"Oh, look," Shoko pointed to the otherside of the hall we were walking down. We all looked to where she was pointing and saw 2 teens. One had blonde hair, the other had dark brown hair. Most likely the new First Years. And of course, Satoru was the first to get to them.
"Hey! You guys are new here, right?" Satoru placed an arm around the brunette boy.
"Oh! Yes, we're first years." He stated a bit nervously.
"Get off him, Satoru," Suguru scolded, "Nice to meet you both." He smiled at the boys.
"We're the second year's." Shoko came up from behind Suguru. "I'm Ieiri Shoko."
"Geto Suguru."
"Yamazaki Mai."
"Gojo Satoru!" Satoru called out a bit too enthusiastically.
"Gojo?? As in the holder of the Six Eyes?? Wow!" The brunette called out.
"At least introduce yourself first.. my name is Nanami Kento." The blonde said.
"Ah! Sorry, I'm Haibara Yuu." Haibara composed himself. "I look forward to getting to know you all." He gave a bow. What a sweet boy.
"Likewise," I said back. "Are you guys headed to the classrooms?"
"Ah, yes. We just came back from the dorms." Haibara replied.
"You guys wanna walk with us then?" Suguru poked his thumb over his shoulder.
"If it's not too much trouble!" Haibara was practically jumping from excitement. Nanami, on the other hand, looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else but here.
We all began to walk to the classrooms. Satoru and Suguru bragging about their many missions to Haibara. Shoko was minding her own business. I was behind them, closer to Nanami.
"Nervous?" I asked, slowing down to his pace.
"I guess.." Ah, one of those.
"Not really looking forward to it?"
"Fighting and putting my life on the line isn't the most enticing thing in the world." Nanami replied.
"Yeah, I agree with you there."
"May I ask, why did you come to this school?" Nanami turned the questioning my direction.
"Hm? Oh, well mostly because my family is a line of sorcerers. But, I also want to be able to protect the future generations." I explained.
"Is your family a famous clan, then?"
"Mm, I wouldn't say famous in the way the Gojo Clan is," I motioned to Satoru. "But definitely popular amongst the jujutsu world." I smiled.