Devil in disguise

Nightmare laid curled on the plush carpet of Swad's bedroom as he stared at the wall. The skeleton was tired, but not tired enough to actually sleep. His eye started to drift closed, and then the sharp, splintering pain of coughing up negative tar from his insides and tentacles ripping through his spine and ribs snapped Nightmare awake. He started breathing shakily, hugging himself tighter.

"Nononono," Nightmare mumbled, clawing at the back of his skull. Tears bubbled at the edge of his eye, and the flashing image of everybody he cared for falling into the gaping cracks in his torn multiverse made the tar-covered skeleton want to scream.

"What's all the fuss about, darling?" Swad asked, tapping Nightmare's back. The darker skeleton froze. "Oh come on, I'm a guardian of feelings as well. Tell me what's the matter~" Swad cooed, taking Nightmare from the ground and setting the negative guardian onto his own bed. When Nightmare refused to say, Swad poked his skull. "Tell me, remember your part of the deal?"

"It.." Nightmare hesitated. Why did Swad want to know? "Just memories." That was the partial truth, but not the full truth. If he didn't have to, Nightmare wouldn't say anything more. Nothing else.

"Hm, alright. Hey, sleep well. Tomorrow, we'll start on the wild goose chase." Swad turned to his back, wings folded neatly at his side. Nightmare turned so he faced away from Swad, proceeding to stare at a wall. Just a wall, nothing special about it.

~

Nightmare glared as the sun came rising over the treeline. He got zero sleep. None. But did that ever stop him? No. The negative guardian slid out of the bed, walking around in search of the kitchen. Nightmare found it, and letting out a yawn he went through cupboard after cupboard, finally finding something to eat. He'd eat a bagel, sure. Nightmare grabbed the bag holding the bagels, untwisting the twist-tie and reaching his hand inside, grabbing one of them and redoing the twist-tie. Reaching up and putting it back in the cupboard, Nightmare turned. Searching for a toaster. When he couldn't find it, he gave up and tore the bagel in half, proceeding to eat it. He let out a yawn, shaking his head a little after. He was the king of negativity. He didn't need sleep. Ugh, shit. That Swad idiot is going to be all like "yOu NeEd tO sLeEp" when he finds out I didn't get any rest. Nightmare thought bitterly, taking another bite of the bagel.

"Well hello there darling~" Swad purred, walking out of his bedroom and stretching. His wings spread to full length, making it look as if an explosion had just gone off behind Swad. "Sleep well?" He asked, rummaging through his kitchen. Nightmare nodded and hummed a "yes", leaning on the table and proceeding to fall half-asleep right then and there. Swad tapped his shoulder, making Nightmare sit upright immediately in a daze. "You sure you got enough?" he asked in amusement, grabbing a box of pancake mix. He grabbed a bowl from another cupboard, setting it on the kitchen counter and opening the box. Swad poured the batter into the bowl, reaching over to the fridge and grabbing a milk jug and eggs. Nightmare blinked in confusion, squinting at Swad. Isn't that basically cannibalism if he eats anything bird related?? Nightmare asked himself. "Is there a problem?" Swad asked as he poured the milk in his bowl. He cracked two eggs into the batter and then put the jug and egg carton back in the fridge, grabbing a fork and stirring the mixture together.

"I- don't you thiak-" Nightmare paused. "What the fuck did I just try to say." Swad shrugged, stifling an amused laugh. Nightmare sighed and held his skull in his hands. "Never mind." He mumbled. Swad turned on the oven burner and set a frying pan on top of it, still mixing the batter as he did so.

"So, you never really answered my question. Did you actually get enough sleep? Because whatever just happened just now with you trying to talk is a sign you did not get enough sleep." Swad questioned, grabbing Nightmare's wrist. The other flinched, attempting to pull his hand away.

"Let go." He hissed, trying to pull his hand away with more strength.

"Answer the question and I will." Swad ordered, gripping tighter. Nightmare sighed in defeat, yawning in the middle of the sigh.

"Mmmm, fine. I didn't sleep, now leame alone..." The negative guardian mumbled, laying his head on the table.

"I thought I told you to get rest." Swad hissed, grabbing Nightmare's skull and pulling it back so he looked up at the winged skeleton. Nightmare glared at him tiredly.

"Have you heard of something called insomnia, dipshit?" He snapped. "Now, let go." Nightmare hissed, tugging his skull away from Swad's grip. Nightmare stood. "I'm going." The negative skeleton made his way to the main entrance, opening the door and walking out to the woods. Swad teleported in front of Nightmare, stopping him in his tracks.

"Who said anything about you being allowed out?" Swad hissed, grabbing Nightmare's wrist once again. He yanked Nightmare closer to himself, making the other look up in surprise and rage.

"So I'm just some caged animal in your grasp now? What about my half of the deal??" Nightmare snapped, pulling away and grimacing.

"Oh but you see, I had my fingers crossed. So you're stuck here." Swad purred, grabbing Nightmare's arm and smiling wickedly. Nightmare growled, attempting to pull his arm away. "Ah-ah~ you can't possibly be trying to go right now~!" Swad pulled Nightmare close and leaned over his shoulder, digging his fingers into the bone of Nightmare's arm. "Because if I ever find you trying to get away unless I say so there will be some deep punishments, understand, darling?" Swad tightened his grip on Nightmare. The other nodded slowly.

Swad was really a devil in disguise.