Just a Memory

As Nightmare read, he was slowly dragged away from the present, his mind drawing back to a memory he had thought he had long forgotten.

It was his first ever time being harassed by the bullies. Hungry, angry looks chiseled into their cold faces, making Nightmare's old comrade and enemy - fear - slither into his mind. Suffocating other feelings until it was all numb. almost like a python. He couldn't control the trembling words or whimpers that slipped past his teeth, they all just happened.

"What--what are you do-oing," A small voice stuttered. Nightmare was taken aback, realizing that he was the small voice. A dog monster let out a mix between a chuckle and a growl, pressing their furry paws together and making a series of cracks and pops emit into the atmosphere.

"We're just here to share a little LOVE," They said smugly. The dog nodded at a fox monster, the red-orange furred animal's response being grabbing Nightmare's shoulders roughly and holding him in place. A flash of reluctance snuck onto their expression, and Nightmare weaved out of the way as the dog swung at his face. The fox was punched in the snout, crying with pain and pressing their paws to their bleeding snout. The dog boy snarled, grabbing Nightmare by the arm and throwing him at the ground. He cried in pain, huddling in a ball and whimpering as blood slipped past his teeth. Hard, angry kicks slammed into his spine, shoulders, every inch of Nightmare's body until he was sobbing and shaking.

A new person picked him up, this on being a human with their hair twisted up into a small bun. Nightmare tried squirming away wildly as the person held his skull in place, and the dog punched him where, if he were human, his nose would be. The other let Nightmare fall to the ground, the small and harmless skeleton huddling back into his shaking ball of fear and pain.

Nightmare whimpered as a paw grabbed him by the skull, revealing the dog boy as he weakly opened his eyes to small slits. "Make that a lesson for not only being a stupid negative prince," They spat, "But also for fighting back, weirdo." He was dropped to the ground, and Nightmare was too scared to dare try and move.

They all laughed coldly of their tormenting being done, and footsteps faded as they all chatted amongst themselves.

Nightmare flinched when a soft and gentle tap was felt on his shoulder. He shifted so he could see the new person through blood and tears clinging to his eye sockets.

It was the fox from earlier.

Their face was scrunched in a mix of pain, worry, and sympathy. "I'm gonna help you sit up, okay?" They said gently. Nightmare gave a small, weak nod of approval. The fox grabbed his shoulders as carefully as they could, sitting him up right. Nightmare hugged his knees. They gave him a pitied look. "Let me see if I still have some of those biscuits," The fox mumbled to themselves, going through pockets in their shorts. "Oh, my name's Scarlet, by the way." Now that Nightmare had a moment to slow his anxiety down, he could see Scarlet's features better as she handed him a biscuit. She wore leather shorts with a rose gold shirt, her amber eyes shining and her orange-red fur shimmering in the sunlight. Nightmare couldn't help but be enthralled by her features as he nibbled on the snack Scarlet had given him.

"Oh hang on, let me wipe your face off." Scarlet suddenly piped up, producing a rag from her pocket. She gave him a look that said 'stay here,' so he did as Scarlet walked away and came back with a bucket full of water. She dipped the rag in the bucket and squeezed out most of the water from it, then pressed the rag to his face. It was freezing, like a snowball had been thrown at his skull. Nightmare winced and pulled away quickly, avoiding her gaze. "Come on, you have to let me because nobody else is going to help." Scarlet encouraged. He nodded shakily, pressing his skull back against the rag.

Scarlet worked gently and with care, pulling the rag away every now and then to dampen it in the water bucket before pressing it gently against Nightmare's skull again until she nodded with approval.

"Is- is it okay now?" Nightmare stuttered, flushed at how much if a fool he must have looked in Scarlet's bright amber eyes.

Scarlet let a giggle escape her mouth, making Nightmare tilt his head slightly with confusion. "I'd say you're cleaned up, but not okay. Yet." She said through giggles.

Nightmare let a dumbfounded smile creep onto his face, giggling slightly at himself with Scarlet.

-

Nightmare woke to Swad inches from his face, and he flinched and pressed himself against the chair he had fallen asleep on. "Did you get enough beauty sleep, prince?" The winged monster teased. Nightmare grumbled, pushing Swad away and standing. "Well, I guess you don't want to try and go to find your team." Swad hummed simply. Nightmare shot him a glare. "That's a no," 

~