The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 17

=============================

The Ugly Rich Girl chapter seventeen

Chloe.

______________________________

The hot summer breeze whipped in my face the moment we stepped off the plane. I regretted my choice of sweatpants as the sun pounded on me. My hair was matted in a bun on the top of my head, and already beads of sweat had began to form around my hairline. I pulled my carry on bag farther up my arm as it slid off.

"Oh god, I need to change." I whispered to Chance. I whined a bit, and then made a pouty face. He just laughed.

"I told you to put on shorts. What do you expect? It's the middle of July in sunny California." I grumbled in respond to his retort, and we walked to baggage claim. We grabbed our suitcases off of the conveyer belt and went through security check.

After we had everything settled, we waited by the pickup for Chance's mom. I fidgeted with a loose string from my suitcase and panted as sweat accumulated on my forehead. I quickly wiped it off with my arm, and sighed.

Chance'a head perked up to see a perky blond women hop out of her car. She was quickly walking toward us, and smiled as she reached us. She wrapped her arms around Chance and Alyssa, and I soon realized that she was their mother. They mumbled a hello to her, and she laughed in response.

When she let go of them, she turned to me. I was startled by her bright blue eyes, as they didn't go with her dark hair. Chance looked like his mother.

"You must be Flo. Chance never stops telling me about you over the phone." I held in a laugh. "I'm Jessica, call me Jess." She gave me a warm smile, and then walked to me. She enveloped me in a hug and squeezed me, as if welcoming me into her family.

"Let's go guys! Lunch is cooking, and then we're going to see Chlo." She said, and jumped back in the car. Chance helped me load my suitcase in to the trunk of her Prius, and put his own there. I tossed my carry on bag into the back, and walked to the middle seats. Before I could reach for the door, Chance had already grabbed the handle and pulled it, opening the door for me.

"My lady." He joked. I chuckled at his foolishness, and got in the car, sliding to the opposite side. "Aw, come on. That's not how it works." He complained as he sat next to me. I rolled my eyes at him.

"You guys are too cute." Jess said from the front seat. I blushed at her comment, pulled on my seatbelt, and slipped my hand into Chance's. Alyssa got in the front set after closing the trunk, and Jess turned up the AC and started driving.

She drove the car up to a three floored Cali-style beach house. I looked past the house to see the blue ocean, and I smiled. I opened the door and slid out of the car as Jess geared it into park. I lifted up the trunk and pulled my suitcase out. Chance grabbed his stuff beside me, and led me to his house.

We walked I the front door, and I set my suitcase and bag down. I looked around at the white and sea green walls of the house, and found interest in the numerous shells and artifacts on shelves lined up throughout the house. I picked up a large starfish and took a clam in the other. I put the clam down, and ran my fingers across the starfish. It felt rough underneath my finger tips and I looked at the markings and top of it.

"You live here." I blurted out, shocked.

"Lived, and yeah." He laughed at my expression, and noticed the starfish in my hand. "Why? You like fancy beach stuff?"

"Like? I love the beach. I'm going to own a beach house when I'm older." I mentally imagined what my house would look like. White curtains, pale orange walls, and deep colored mahogany wood to contrast the setting. "I'm going to own a dog, and maybe even a rabbit."

"Do you want me to buy you a dog for your birthday?" Chance asked, and took the starfish into his hands. He turned it over, feeling the jagged edges. I remembered it was July, which meant my birthday would be in four months, November.

"My parents would kill me, really.." I wasn't joking, they completely despised domestic animals like dogs and cats. Farm animals didn't bother them, though. "I should try to convince them to get me a herding dog, and then buy a fence full of sheep." With that, we were both laughing.

"So what's the plan for today?" I wondered, as it was only 10 am. I grabbed my suitcase and bag, and followed Chance as he carried his stuff up a staircase. I lugged my heavy suitcase behind me, and pulled it up the stairs. I groaned as the suitcase weight felt like it had tripled in weight. I loaded it over the last stair, and walked with Chance to a closed door. He set down a bag, and opened it. I poked my head in the room. There was a queen bed in the middle, and various beachy objects on the dresser and nightstand.

"My bedroom?" I asked.

"It's actually mine.." He said, and I realized what was happening. "Um, we don't actually have a guest bedroom." I blushed, because I would have to sleep in the same bed with him. He pulled me in for a hug, and I nearly screamed as he threw me over his shoulder onto the bed. I landed with a dull thud, and started laughing. He jumped on next to me, and laced his fingers with mine.

"You never told me what we were doing today." I complained, upset that he didn't answer me earlier.

"Well, first were going to unpack, then eat some lunch. After lunch I think we're visiting Chloe."

"Is Chloe your sister?" He nodded. "You never tell me anything about her. Why can't you tell me anything?"

"She's really different, I guess.. We don't like to talk about it much as a family because it makes everyone sad. So, she's a thirteen year old girl who is going to be starting her freshmen year in high school and turning fourteen on August 8th." He thought for a minute, and continued. "She has blond- wait.. Yeah blond hair. Brown eyes that make you melt, and a warm smile with perfect teeth. I would do her hair for her when Alyssa couldn't help her, because she was always in fashion.." He smiled.

My mind was nagging at me, so I just said it. "What's wrong with her?" There was an awkward pause as Chance swallowed a lump in his throat.

"She has breast cancer." I froze at his words. A teenage girl, battling breast cancer. It tore at me. I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I just looked up at him.

"Oh my god." I finally said after a long pause. I wrapped my arms around his body. He gave me a brave smile under his blank expression, but I saw right through it. "Hey, hey it's alright."

He almost laughed at me. "You're telling me its alright? You look like you just saw a ghost." I rolled my eyes at him. "Besides, she's just like any other teenage girl. She reads Seventeen, teen vogue, and loves online shopping. I once even bought her Mac makeup, because it was an early birthday present." I smiled.

"I can't wait to meet her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We walked down a white hospital hallway, hand in hand. We were in the cancer patient center with Alyssa and Jess, visiting Chloe. We turned a hallway, and came to a single door on the left. Chance quickly rapped on the door, and turned the knob.

I came to the doorway and stood there as Chance walked up to the girl laying down on the bed. Her eyes were glowing as Chance wrapped his arms around her, and I froze as she looked at me.

"You're Flo, right? Chance has told me about you." Chloe said, smiling at me. I nodded, and pulled up a chair next to Chance at her bedside. "You're even prettier than he said you were." That made me laugh.

"Thank you. But you're the one who's rocking the hospital gown." I smiled as I glanced at the bejeweled gown, with glitter covering it. She chuckled.

"Chance helped me make it. It didn't take that long, really." I noticed the wig stand on a table next to the bed, and realized that she was wearing a wig.

I ignored the troubles facing her, and started picking up a conversation about the latest issue of Seventeen.

______________________________

Haha, my birthdays August 8th..

I'm watching Hannah Montana the movie. Gotta love it!

Food time..

Yourhungrysmartaleck,

Becca <3