The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 29

=============================

The Ugly Rich Girl chapter 29

When it rains, it pours

_____________________________

My day started out horrible. 

In the morning before school, Chance and I grabbed Starbucks. Because of the unanticipated lines and drink remakes, we arrived to homeroom period just late enough to be considered tardy. 

Mid-way through second period some kid bumped into my desk and my iced coffee spilled all over me. Because of a test in my third period, I had to beg Chance to run home and get me a change of clothes. 

I was so frustrated with my day that when I walked into fourth period with fresh clothes, I threw my backpack on the ground without remembering my Macbook was in there. A fresh crack ran along the screen. 

When we got home, I laid down on my bed with my head in Chance's lap. I didn't cry, I didn't scream, I just heaved a long and deep sigh. 

Chance played with my hair and braided it into one long french braid. When he finished, he pulled it out and continued to run his fingers across my scalp. It calmed me immensely. 

After several minutes of relaxation, I was nearly sleeping. I nestled my head more comfortably in Chance's lap and moments later my phone began rumbling in my pocket. I pulled it out and focused my sleepy eyes on the screen. 

"It's Cara," Chance said. "Do you want me to answer it?" 

I nodded and returned to my resting position on his lap. 

After a few minutes of listening to his soft voice he set the phone down on the bed. 

"Hey, Flo," Chance whispered. "Cara says that we've been nominated for one of the senior yearbook awards."

I lifted my head. Every year, people would nominate and select individuals to receive funny awards in the yearbook. 

"Which one?"

"Cutest couple," he said. 

"Really?" I asked. 

"Yeah," he said. "She said that there were quite a few nominations for us."

"Really?" I asked again. He let out a chuckle. 

"Yes." 

"Are you sure she wasn't joking or anything?"

"She sounded sincere," Chance said. "She also wanted you to know that she's sorry for everything that happened."

I pondered the thought in my head but then quickly dismissed it. Cara didn't deserve my forgiveness. 

"I think you should try to talk to her, Flo."

"It's not that simple."

"It is, though," he said. "I'm sure if you talked with her about everything it would make both of you feel a lot better."

"I don't want her explanation of what happened, Chance," I said. "I know what she did and I don't think I'd be able to forgive her for betraying me like that."

"Just a thought," he mumbled.

"Sorry," I said. "You know none of this anger is directed at you. She hurt me pretty bad, Chance."

"I know," he said. 

He continued to brush his fingers through my hair and I slowly drifted off into sleep.