Chapter 1

"Where is my little kitten?" My mothers voice yells up to my room. "Well this is great" I mutter under my breath. I look around for a hiding place. Whenever my mother says that I get terrified. She tends to dress me up and use me as a rag doll when she gets into this mood which ends in her being very mad and she takes it out on me. I climb up into the rafters and open the hidden door to the roof. I slink through it with cat like reflexes. My siblings get the better part of my parents affections. I always get the dumb unintelligible looks from them when I try to talk to them. Apparently I am one of those rare births in the family where someone is actually 'smart'. Or so I've been told.

I look out over Berk with a bored look. I haven't had any good memories of this place. Being locked up all the time had that effect. When Tuff, Ruff and I were born they looked like mom and dad while I looked totally different. My mother called me kitten and that just stuck. While my parents call me kitten my brother and sister call me kit which I am thankful for. What makes me different is that I have black hair as dark as ebony, eyes as green and bright as an emerald, pale skin like snow. Or like in my mothers words "like a princess of perfection." I slink down to the ground and slowly make my way to the forest, making sure I'm not seen by anybody.

There's a rule at my house nobody is to know about me. And nobody does. I have been locked up in that house for years before I found that door to the roof. Ever since then I sneak off to the woods to explore and be alone. And to hide from my mother. Ruff and Tuff are fairly nice to me. They bring me pastries from the bakery and they also bring me stuff from outside, but they also bring me books. I love books and my brother and sister know that. They always try to persuade mom and dad to let them take me out and show me off as the hidden beauty of the Thorston family. But that never happened.

I got to the forest and start walking through it heading to the cove where I skip stones on the pond and just relax away from mummy dearest. *deep inhale* "Hello cove I am back". I say to the cove as I walk to the pond. I sit down by the edge looking into the pond. I just study my features looking at what my family sees, trying to figure out why me? Why did I end up with these looks? Why was I so smart compared to the rest of my family?

I just saw my black hair falling around my face I normally left it down because my mother always twists it and pulls it into painfully tight up does that pull on my scalp. My eyes look like that emerald that is on one of the dress up necklaces that lay around mothers dress up room. Yes there is literally a room that has nothing but clothing and other items for my mother to dress me up in. Also known as my closet by my siblings. My face looked normal at least I think it's normal. I wouldn't really know I've only ever been around my parents and siblings. I haven't seen another person in my entire life besides Gothy. She is the only person that knows about me besides the family. She helped mother give birth to Ruff, Tuff and I. I flopped onto my back looking up at the clouds seeing fluffy clouds slowly float by. My eyes slowly started drooping until I fell asleep.

I awoke to a weird sniffing noise in my ear. I turned my head and opened my eyes to see a snout. But not just any snout a pitch black giant snout. I jumped up backing away from the dragon. It looked at me with its eyes in slits. It just sat there watching me with its big purple eyes. I was mesmerized by its eyes, but I snapped out of it when it started walking up to me. I freaked out and closed my eyes holding my hand out in front of me afraid of what this dragon was gonna do to me. I didn't feel or hear anything for a moment then I felt something rub my hand. I looked and found the dragon put its snout in my hand and had closed its eyes. It slowly opened its eyes and looked at me.

I read the book of dragons, heck I memorized it. This dragon wasn't in it but I had a feeling I knew what dragon this was. Standing in front of me was a nightfury. I had never seen a dragon before because my mother would take me to the cellar and lock me in it until the dragon attacks were done. Seeing this nightfury in front of me, who is letting me pet it was beautiful. It was not as violent and horrible as mother tells me about. "H-hi there" I tentatively said to the dragon. It perked its ears up at me and smiled. I looked and it didn't have teeth. I looked closer then teeth shot out of its gums startling me. I stumbled back and fell on my but.

The dragon gave a kind of chuckle sound. "Go ahead laugh it up" I tell it while rolling my eyes as I stand back up and dust myself off. I looked at the dragon again "So what are you a boy or a girl?" I say as I walk around the dragon. It looks at me then nudges me. "Boy?" it snorts and shakes its head. "Girl?" It perks up its head. "So you're a girl dragon" I said as I look into her eyes. They were a deep violet color like an amethyst. "I think I'll call you Amenyx" (A-meh-n-ic-x) I tell the dragon who gives me a gummy smile. I chuckle and pet her head.

I look up to the darkening sky cursing slightly. "Sorry Amenyx but I have to go home now. I'll come back here tomorrow afternoon ok?" I tell the dragon who is purring. She gives me a little whine and gives me a pleading look. I hug her then look her in the eyes again. "I have to go pal before my mother sends my siblings to find me. I don't want them to find you." I tell her with a mournful look in my eyes. She gives me a little push then turns and takes off into the air.