Chapter 7

On the way back to the village Hiccup and I just talked. "So you have been locked away your whole life?" Hiccup starts. "Ya I've been in that house for as long as I can remember. I recently just found a hidden door that I could sneak out of when I needed to" I tell him as I duck under a branch.

"You haven't met anybody until today have you?" he asks walking around a tree. "Well I met you two days ago remember?" I say with a smirk as he walks beside me again. "Oh ya. How could I forget that?" He asks jokingly. "Today was fun though. I never thought that I would ever meet anybody besides my family" I tell him solemnly.

"Well you met me" Hiccup said looking ahead avoiding eye contact. I look at him and smile. "Ya I did meet you. So I consider you my first friend" I tell him as I swing my arm around his shoulders. We arrived at the mess hall then and continued to walk inside laughing with each other. Then we hear the gang talking with Gobber at a table and Hiccups face fell.

"That's right you have to toughen yourselves. Now where did Hiccup go wrong?" Gobber asks as Hiccup and I walk up to the table. I grab two plates and hand one to Hiccup who gives me a smile. "Hey sis come sit with us" the twins say opening a space between them. Snotlout slides over blocking the bench from Hiccup who just sighs and goes to walk past. He then grabs a cup and continues to the next table.

I look after him and glare at Snotlout who was giving me a flirtatious look. He coward into Fishlegs side. "Ugh he showed up?" Ruffnut says snarkily. "He didn't get eaten" Tuffnut retorts. I glare at my siblings. "He's never where he should be" Astrid says angrily. "Thank you Astrid" Gobber says. I walk by all of them with my plate and sit next to Hiccup. He was my first friend so I'm going to stick to him. Plus he wasn't really a jerk like some people.

"You need to live and breath this stuff. The dragon manual, everything we know about and everything we know of dragons" Gobber says as he clears the table and places the book down. I look at Hiccup who just picks at his food. I tear off a piece of meat and shove it in his mouth surprising him. I giggle and push his food towards him. He smiles lightly and takes a bite.

The thunder booms. "No attacks tonight. Hurry up" Gobber says as he walks away. "Wait you mean read?" Tuff questions. "While we're still alive? Ruff asks right after. "Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?" Snotlout says stupidly. "Oh I've read it like seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And and there's this other one where---" Fishlegs starts babbling until Tuffnut says "Ya it sounds great. If there was a chance that I was gonna read that--" "But now...." Ruff finishes.

"You guys read I'll go kill stuff" Snotlout says as he gets up and leaves. Everyone else starts to follow him and continue to talk. Hiccup gets up and walks to the table where Astrid is still sitting. "So I guess we'll share" Hiccup starts. "Already read it" Astrid says as she pushes the book away and walks out. "Oh ok all mine then. wow so we'll... k... I'll see you uh... tomorrow then...sigh" He says as he sits down to read the book.

I stand up and sit next to him. "I'll read it with you if you don't mind" I tell him placing my hand on his shoulder. "Thanks Kit. You know your the only viking that will talk to me without judging me" Hiccup says a little sad. "They don't see what I see Hiccup" I tell him as I open the book. "And what would that be?" He asks. "You have potential. You have a different vibe that everyone else doesn't see" I say looking up at him. He just looks down dejectedly.

"They may not see it now Hiccup but give it time and things will change. You never know what can happen in the days to come. You just need to keep moving forward and hope for a better tomorrow no matter how bad things get" I tell him pushing the book towards him. He looks at me before grabbing a lantern and setting it down next to the book.

"Dragon classifications. Strike class, Fear class, and Mystery class" Hiccup starts to read. "Thunderdrum.This reclusive dragon inhabits sea caves and dark tide pools. When startled the Thunderdrum produces a concussive sound that could kill a man at close range. Extremely dangerous kill on sight" I read off. I look at Hiccup and turn the page.

"Timberjacks.This gigantic creature has razor sharp wings that can slice through full grown trees. Extremely dangerous kill on sight" Hiccup reads. "Scauldren. Sprays scalding water at its victim. Is extremely dangerous--" A loud boom of thunder scares the both of us. We look and see the door to the mess hall open. We turn back around.

"The Changewing. Even newly hatched dragons can spray acid. Kill on sight" I read. "Gronkle. Zippleback. The skrill. Bone knapper" Hiccup keeps reading off. "The whispering death" I whisper out. Hiccup and I look at each other. "Burns its victims. Buries its victims. Choke its victims. Turns its victims inside out. Extremely dangerous. Extremely dangerous. Kill on sight. Kill on sight. Kill on sight" Hiccup keeps reading off going through the book faster, until he gets to the nightfury page.

"Nightfury" he mumbles out. "Speed unknown. Size unknown. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance, hide and pray that it does not find you" I read as Hiccup brings his journal out and lays it down on the page. We look at each other as the candles go out.

I get up and close the book and hand it to Hiccup. "I have my own copy at home. You should read that book and memorize it I already have" I tell Hiccup as we walk out of the mess hall. "Well good night Hiccup. I'll see you tomorrow at the academy. I'll ask you some questions so be ready to answer them ok?" I tell him as i walk off waving to him. I head home preparing myself for what I might walk into at home. "Well time to walk into the lions den" I mumble as I walk to my house.