t e n

A couple hours later... 

I sat down on one of the lawn chairs in the backyard in front of the fire and enjoyed the warmth that came off it. I took a sip of my drink and held the plastic cup loosely in my hands. This was my third- no fourth, drink of the night. I'm not even sure anymore. Evan disappeared to talk to his friends for awhile, leaving me on my own. Baylee was nowhere to be seen either. 

"There you are." I heard a voice and turned my head in that direction. It was Kian. He sat down in the chair next to me and I didn't say anything for a moment. 

"What did you mean earlier? When you said I don't need to be jealous?" I asked, causing him to smile a little. 

"Are you drunk?" He asked me. 

"Um, don't change the subject mister." I frowned. 

"I'll take that as a yes." He smirked. "We can talk about it tomorrow." His response caused me to roll my eyes. 

"Why don't we head home? It's after one now." Kian suggested, standing up. I stood up as well, apparently too fast because I got super dizzy and lost my balance. 

"Hey, you okay?" Kian asked, his hands grabbing my arms, steadying me. 

"Not really..." I said quietly. He took one of my hands, intertwining it in his and lead me back inside. We weaved our way through the house and found Baylee, our designated driver, along the way- Kian not letting go of my hand the entire time. To be honest, I didn't mind. 

"Lexi! Are you leaving-" Evan was suddenly standing in front of us. I wasn't in the mood to talk to him. 

"Excuse us." Kian said, trying to walk past Evan. It was then that he noticed Kian stringing me along by my hand.

"Dude, what the hell, let go of her. Where are you taking her?" He asked, not letting Kian and I walk through. Kian was a solid three inches taller than Evan, having to look down to face him. 

"I'm taking her home. Now get lost." Kian said, his jaw clenched. He said something else to Evan, but I couldn't hear what it was. Whatever he said, it worked, and Evan glared at us before moving out of the way. We got to the car and Baylee drove Kian and I back to my house. We made it inside the house, and I kicked off my Vans. I started to go up the stairs but realized halfway up that I was alone. 

"Kian?" I asked. 

"Shh..." A voice shushed me from the kitchen, and a few seconds later he came around the corner with a granola bar and a glass of water in his hands. He came up the stairs behind me. 

"We don't want to wake your mom." He whispered, and as we reached the top of the stairs, Kian led the way down the hall to my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and sat down on my bed with a sigh. At this point I wasn't feeling good and all I wanted to do was sleep until the alcohol wore off. I was feeling very drunk still. 

"Here. You need to eat something, the last thing you had was that milkshake this afternoon." Kian handed me the granola bar and the water. 

"Kiannn, I don't want to tho." I groaned. 

"I know you don't, but you need to, okay? I'll grab you some clothes to change into, and then I'll go change and come back to make sure you ate that." He told me quietly, as he opened my closet and brought me a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants. I had already started to change as he left the room. 

"Stupid granola." I muttered to myself, reluctantly eating it after I had changed and gotten into bed. After what felt like forever, Kian returned, also in a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I threw the wrapper in my garbage as he came in. 

"Good. Do you feel okay?" He asked, leaning against the doorway. 

"Ehh. Not really but I'll be fine." I slowly got under the covers and Kian turned off my light. 

"Kian?" I asked, not sure if he had already walked away or not. 

"Yeah?" He responded, clearly still in the doorway. 

"Will you stay with me?" I quietly asked him. I felt him climb onto my bed and get under the covers on the other side of me. I turned over and moved closer to him, feeling his body heat. 

"I'm here." He reassured me, putting an arm around me and pulling me even closer. 

"Thank you. You're the best." I smiled, followed by a yawn as I shut my eyes. 

"Wow, I think that's the first nice thing you've said since I got here." He whispered, trying not to laugh but failing miserably, causing me to laugh too. 

"I'm sorry if I was a bitch, Kian. I don't know why I was acting the way I was; you don't deserve that. So I don't know why you've been so nice to me this whole time. You're really sweet." I rambled, some of my words slurring together. 

"That's a conversation for another day, now try to get some sleep." He told me, and I could tell he was smiling even though I couldn't see his face in the dark. After only a few minutes I fell fast asleep, within the comfort of Kian's arms.