21. Sleep Well (TW)

This chapter is heavy so please skip now if you need to! (Sorry I'm a whore for sad chapters cause it helps relieve my own sadness)

INSANE TW for this chapter- death, drugs, suicide, blood, mentions of physical and drug abuse

Please let someone know if you are struggling. Someone out there needs you.

^^^This song is very sad to me because it reminds me of someone I lost. I suggest listening to this song or unsteady by X ambassadors for the end part of this chapter. Look out for the *******

—————

My friend Jackie texts my phone asking to meet up, but it's long past the time I should be leaving the house.

I assume that maybe if my father is drunk enough like usual he'll be passed out on the couch and be that way until I come home, but I'm honestly too terrified to leave my room and find out.

I have a strict schedule for when I get home from school and it mainly includes me closing myself in my room and avoiding the wrath of my father until the next morning, and then it repeats.

Alcohol mixed with heavy drugs isn't good for anyone, more so the people around those who use them.

If me or Vincent happen to do a simple thing incorrectly we get the belt and my behind is already too bruised to sit properly in class. I'm starting to think my teacher has noticed.

Vincent is always trying to live up to his expectations but it's honestly so hard when the expectations keep getting higher every time we reach them. It's like everything we've ever done will never measure up to what he wants from us. It's the worst feeling in the world to think you aren't good enough when that's all you've ever strived to be.

My phone chimes collecting my spaced out attention,

Jackie- C'mon! He won't notice you're gone, you'll be back in half an hour.

I debate heavily on whether or not I should go. If I go I'm leaving my brother unattended with my alcoholic father. My mother works night shifts as a nurse so she's been gone since 5pm.

I text back - You know how he gets...

I hope she chooses to leave it at that, but knowing how stubborn Jackie is, I doubt she'll leave it alone.

Jackie- He seriously won't even know you're gone! I promise.

Slipping silently through my bedroom door, I sneak down the hall to the living room, avoiding the creaky areas in the floor.

My fathers sat in his worn down recliner with a lit cigarette in the ashtray beside him and a beer in his hand. In one quick movement I take the beer from his closed palm and set it down to the side, if I don't he will wake up furious that one of his beers was wasted and he will have no one to blame except Vincent if he wakes up before I'm home.

I protect him at all costs, even if that means giving up my own freedom or taking beatings for him.

My father snores sharply, causing the hairs on my arms to raise higher than ever before. I flinch as an automatic reaction to sudden sounds or movements. I guess I can thank him for my skittish behavior and frightened reactions.