Chapter Nine:Growing Bonds

Geno's POV a month later

I've been doing my best to do the tasks on the lists I am given. The council came and told me that this is only temporary. They were rushing to solve two problems in one go so I am a substitute until they create an actual god. Soon I'll be back to my normal self and I'm just fine with that. Papyrus has created helpers for him and Reaper to balance the workload and shorten their seemingly endless lists of souls to reap. Maybe the second chance god will help those numbers cut back too.

But what's weird is that I haven't seen or heard from Reaper all month. He isn't answering his phone either. Then again, Papyrus says that he can go into a crunch mode of some sort and plow through his list for a break as a reward. He thought that he just might be having one of those moments or be stuck in that mode. But a few days later, Reaper still hasn't shown up and Papyrus said that he'd have to come back by now for his break or a new list. He said it was impossible for him to still have souls to reap regardless of his time management. Even if he crashed somewhere to sleep like a kid on a sugar rush, he would have at least contacted someone. Something didn't seem right.

One day some gods approached me and started up a conversation. They were getting flirty and suggestive. I kept turning them down and shutting their suggestions down. Then a bunch of panthers and hedgehogs with tiny cloaks come running over. The reaperlings aka Papyrus and Reaper's little helpers.

"Geno! Geno! Geno! Help! Help! Help! Pleeeaase!"They exclaim

I turn to them and kneel as they practically leap at me.

"What's wrong?"I ask

"Reaper! Reaper! Reaper! We found Reaper!"These hedgehogs squeak

"He's in trouble!"These panthers whimper

"What?!"I say, feeling my soul sink

"He's hurt and can't move! We came to you for help since everyone else is busy! Please come with us!"They cry

I get up, unfolding my wings.

"Where do you think you're going?"The other gods ask

"What do you think?"I snap

"He's a god, I'm sure he will be fine."One says

"Yeah, it's not like we drained him of his immortality and dumped him somewhere to see how he'd do as a mortal HAHA!"Another says with a fake laugh

"And to get near you!"A third says

The rest glare at them.

"WHAT?!"I snap

The panthers leaped at them, pinning them down and roaring for Papyrus. The hedgehogs lead me away through a portal quickly. I heard gunshots and a list appears in front of me with only one name. Reaper and his file. It said everything and I knew it was him. I ran towards the noise and see a bunch of humans beating up who I assumed to be Reaper. I got closer and saw him wearing the scarf I made for him. He was out cold and one of the humans was aiming a gun at him as if to finish him off. I knock them away and quickly pick Reaper up. He was wounded and bleeding out with multiple shots, including one to the head. His HP was extremely low and I was hardly getting a soul beat from him. Bullets lay nearby. I gripped him tightly and glared at the humans. One tried to shoot me but the bullet bounced right off.

"Dude! That's the Monster God of 2nd Chances! And when he's pissed we don't get any other chances!"One says

"You all are done for!"I snap, firing Gaster Blasters