Chapter 23: So Little Time

Geno's POV

"Gah! Aggh! Let me go!"I cry out

Of all people to run into in this place, I run into The Collector! I wasn't looking for a round two with him. But he caught me and has been doing his experiments in an abandoned section of this "temple". I feel a strong pain in my soul and scream as he crushes it in his grip. Then I heard a crack, then a snap.

"Let's see how you last now." He says, then tosses me into a changing room

I hit the wall roughly as he slams the door shut.

"You have 24 hours..."He says, marching away

I wait a few moments, checking myself. Still wearing the outfit Mettaton had me try...A tuxedo top with a long flowing skirt from a dress sewn to it from the waist down. I remember my face burning when I put it on, realizing what their teasing remarks meant. That was before The Collector caught me. I try to recollect myself, catching my breath. I notice a ring on my finger that wasn't there before, shining a bright gold with silver growing from the center. There was a message saying:"You're outdated and done this time...". I try to think but it could hardly sink in before the door bursts open. It was one of the other gods that came along with us.

"Oh thank goodness! You're here, Geno! Are you okay?"He asks

"I...Want to go home.."I say, bowing my head

"Of course!"He says, taking my hand and opening a portal

He leads me through it and I go into the house, finding it empty and cold. I frown, feeling extreme pain in my chest.

"You've outlived far beyond your expiration date, Geno. I finally found the piece to solve the issue. Let's see how you end your story of freedom."I could hear The Collector say

I quickly realize the meaning and all it implies. I frown.

"I'll go to tell everyone that you're home safe and sound! Anything you want me to tell Mettaton?"He asks

"Get better temple security."I say, shaking my head

He nods, shutting the door. I glance at the walls, gazing at every picture. I glance down at myself.

It's so close to...Of course now they come to ruin it...Why am I not surprised? It's been a good run...I'll get my things in order...

I walk to our room, changing out of the clothes. I took a nice warm shower...My last one....I feel the bleeding wounds and scar of my ribs deepen, reminding me of my time. My head started to hurt more than it has in a long while. I keep moving, cleaning myself and getting into fresh clothes.

I leave the house, going back to the tree with the carving I hoped to one day show Reaper...Maybe on a peaceful date stargazing or a picnic perhaps...I reach into the hole where I kept the money I've been saving. I find a pair of boxes inside, knowing exactly what they were for. I grab one, then seal the hole up. I open the box, putting on the ring from inside. If we will never get that chance, I've got nothing to lose doing it now...

I walk back to the house, shutting the door. I put some food in the oven and prepare for a meal. I set some blankets together, having the doors locked. I get a camera set-up and start the recording.

"H-Hey Reaper...If you're watching this, then it's probably a tough time right now...I may not know specifics but I have a pretty good idea. I just want to have something to explain things...Umm, this is very hard...Obviously I'm not here if you're watching it. There will probably be more videos besides this explanation video so that you have some comfort anytime that you need it. Especially given that sensitive time coming up.....The Collector found me and set plans in motion to end things...I have 24 hours left...So here goes..."I start out, then go on to explain

I go on through the recordings, talking and giving fous to different issues or tones in each one for different situations Reaper may be in. I showed the ring, explaining, or holding the locket. I wanted to share my affections the best that I could or explain so he could be happy. I stopped, then edited the video sessions and got the food out of the oven and laying it out for him. I feel extremely tired, making my way to bed. I fall asleep slowly, clutching the locket.

I wake up to the door slamming open but my body hurt too much to move...I glance up, seeing a clock. Dang it...Slept in...Only 10 hours left....It was so tough to wake up...Still feels like that if not for the alarm of the door's sudden noise...

"Geno!"Reaper exclaims from inside another room

I was too weak to even speak, feeling as if I was choking from more blood filling my mouth. I use my magic to shut and lock the door. I can't...won't let him see this happen. After everything...I can't put him through this sort of pain again. And for all I know, The Collector removed whatever was keeping Reaper's touch from killing me. I'll be damned before his plan has me dying in Reaper's hold, especially since he's just starting to move past with the mistake of nearly killing me. This experience would break him....in ways I don't think he could recover from.

"Geno! Open the door! Please!"He cries from the other side, banging on the door.

I snuggle into his pillow, my grip tightening on the locket. I could hear him begging on the other side but I couldn't even respond. But then I find myself outside my own body. My soul was getting pulled away but my body somehow remains behind. My soul gets dragged to a jewel, getting stuck inside the gem. I look at the hand holding it and frown.

"One more wonderful soul in my collection due to a quick change of plans. And that god is none the wiser, even giving me a bonus in the process."The Collector says, raising a black vial.

Reaper....

"Hmm...Where to hide them? Ooo, I got an idea."He says

I frown as he opens another portal, taking both items away.

TBC