FOURTEEN

Malfoy Manor was every bit as imposing as Bada thought it would be. Even though she had seen it once more, when she had led her grandparents there, she still found herself surprised at the size of the gardens and the building itself, awed by the beauty of the marbles and tall walls.

This time, Draco was by her side as she entered. They had finished work just a while ago and she had wished to ensure her grandparents had taken to the place nicely, despite being asked to leave their home for precautionary measures. Draco had agreed to let her in his home and so this was where she found herself, now entering the Manor.

"I haven't seen much of your grandparents," he admitted as they walked deeper in the Manor. "I only saw them once yesterday after work when I ensured them that should they need anything, they should feel obligated to let me know so I can take care of it for them. Then I left them alone. I don't think your grandmother likes me much."

"Seven years ago, this was one of the families she was running away from and now she is seeking shelter in your walls at my urging," she pointed out as she turned her head to face him, gaze intense as it always was, but now Draco knew the reason behind it. "Nevermind that today is the anniversary of the war. I don't blame her for having her reservations."

"Neither do I. This is the least I could do, though."

"To correct what?"

"How harsh I was with you yesterday when I realized you hadn't told us everything," he came to a stop as he turned to face her, and she did the same. "For correcting the mistakes my family made. It must have been hard for you to admit you are a siren when you knew Theo and I had been against everyone like you at one point in our lives. We aren't the same people, though, both of us. We feel no aversion towards you and your kind whatsoever. I'm not the same person I was five years ago."

"That's good for you," was her cool response, her expression not changing in the slightest. "You are becoming a better person. You did the right thing and I won't forget how you helped my family in our time of need."

He nodded, sent her a small smile and without further ado, walked down the corridor. Bada followed after him a moment later. It didn't take him long to speak up again.

"I understood what you meant about pure sirens yesterday. Your grandmother's eyes are captivating. Her beauty is out of this world despite her age and it makes sense she is a siren. Not that your characteristics aren't striking or that you don't look like a siren, of course that's not what I meant-"

"I know that's not what you meant," she cut him off with a chuckle as she turned to face him. "Thank you."

She thought the top of Draco's ears were getting scarlet under her gaze. He choked out a "you are welcome" and she turned back to her front before she could figure out whether the scarlet was a trick of the light or reality. Soon enough, she was reaching the room she had led her parents to yesterday. Draco knocked on the door, a voice was heard, letting them in. He opened the door and Bada walked inside.

"Hi," she greeted as she entered, taking great care to not fall as her grandmother's kittens walked around her feet. In the end, she stayed put a few ways by the door as she looked up at her grandparents. "I wanted to see how you've been doing."

"We are fine, sweetheart," her grandfather assured her as he beckoned her over to sit around the table he and her grandmother were already sat around. "You didn't have to worry about us."

"I kind of have to," Bada disagreed with a small laugh as she walked over, her gaze on the floor.

"I'll leave you be," Draco spoke by the door, "if there is anything you might need, I'll be in the garden."