EIGHTEEN

"And so we find ourselves chasing thieves."

It was a few days after Goyle's imprisonment and as Sabrina Vance had decided, the team was to move on from the case, having attempted to solve it long enough, in her opinion. The evidence was still in their hands, having being left there after Harry had negotiated with her, claimed they would need a week more to think over the case, in chance of finding something new. Sabrina had given them that one week although it was clear she didn't believe a solution could be found. If Bada were to be honest, it didn't seem like even Harry himself was all that sure of the outcome. If anything, he had probably asked for more time for her, to set her mind at ease for a while longer, give her another chance. Many more lives would be lost if they didn't find Hae.

Bada wasn't pleased they had moved on to another case. Her colleagues too seemed troubled, most of them Ron, who had promised her he would help find her sister and then would request he quit. After it had been announced that they now had a deadline to the case, the four men had kept an eye on Bada who had turned more agitated day by day. With their attention so closely on her, it was easy to hear her little comment, made a few ways away from the interrogation rooms after they had caught the thief they had been chasing for a day. At once, they exchanged a look Bada pretended to not have seen as she turned around, to the staircase, ready to head back to their office. Harry hurried after her.

"That's our normal job. I thought you liked it."

"I do," she agreed at once, "but this isn't where my heart and mind lie right now. It isn't what I feel like I should focus on."

"I know."

"And what of my grandparents?" she asked, shaking her head. "They can't keep staying with Draco, this isn't their home and they've been there for long enough already."

"Well, if it would set your mind at ease, you should know your grandparents and I have been getting along rather well recently," Draco spoke up from a few ways away. "I've given them a tour of the house and your grandmother is helping me in the garden at times. Your grandfather and I enjoy chess and it's overall a lot better than it was. I am even considering to suggest they stay around for my birthday celebration."

"You don't," Theodore called out, "you don't even want your mother around these things."

"Because I prefer to call people my own age, but it could be possible."

Bada smiled slightly as she turned back to Draco. "Thank you, I really appreciate it and I'm sure my grandparents do too. They really can't keep staying on your Manor for long, though."

"Focus on solving the case and the rest will come on its own," Harry muttered, "we can find a place for your grandparents to stay at if need be."

"Yeah," she murmured, gaze falling on the floor to watch her feet as she walked. She stayed silent afterwards though. Draco and Theodore started talking among themselves, Ron piping in ocassionaly. They headed right for the lift, the time for their lunch break drawing near. During that time, too, Bada remained quiet, even when Hermione moved to join them by Ron's side, even when Blaise awkwardly stopped by just to greet Draco, Theodore and Bada before he walked along, not willing to sit by them. 

And so the day passed, Bada remaining mostly quiet as she focused on her work, replying when adressed with small hums or short answers. She stayed late too. She remained at her desk as Ron and Draco left, and a while later, so did Theodore. She seemed to have no plans of leaving when Harry finished his own work. For a moment, he considered wishing her goodbye and leaving, but a look around changed his mind. Most Aurors had left, some lights had started to dim. He doubted she would be leaving on her own any time soon.