Chapter 35

(edited)

Clay is a pain to travel with.

He runs over a little list he made over a thousand times, driving me crazy.

Maybe it's because it's christmas day and the airport is a bit hectic

I'm now sitting next to him in first class, how? This mother fucker upgraded our tickets without me noticing.

I initially paid for them because my mom was the one inviting us, but you had to see the look on my face when the lady in the check in area directed us over to the priority pass line.

"I'm still paying you back for the difference" I tell Clay

"We went over this, no you're not" Clay tells me "It's literally nothing for me, let me pay for it, your family already paid for accommodations and our food for the week"

"Yeah but it's my mom paying it, not you. Plus, we are staying in the same room, she's essentially only paying for me" I say

"Still" he insists

"Trust me, it's the most that I can since you'll have to put up with her"

"She can't be that bad" he brushes me off

Oh but she can be.

Every single guy I've brought home in my years of high school have never been enough for her. Either she disliked the way they talked, dressed, looked, or their family's status.

The only guy she ever liked was an older guy from my school I briefly dated right before I moved to Florida, Aidren.

I don't really know if she liked him for who he was or because of how filthy rich his family was.

The worst thing was that Aidren was actually nice, he wasn't into flashy stuff and mostly kept to himself. Kind of like Clay.

I'm not sure why we didn't work out, probably because none of us were committed enough to maintain a long distance relationship. Things ended up being inconclusive, an open chapter left out to fill.

Maybe that's why I didn't hesitate on bringing Clay along... My mom would've probably wanted to get me and Aidren back together again, which would definitely be a bad thing given everything I have on my plate right now.

Clay will act like a shield for that.

I hope.

I turn to look at him, he's staring out the window looking at the sky.

His features are very similar to Aidren's. Dark blond hair and that boyish grin on his face. The only difference are their eyes. Aiden's are blue, while Clay's are green.

I thought I loved blue eyes, I have them myself- kind of. Mine are in between green and blue.

Again, I thought I loved them, until Clay.

His green eyes tell a story, they give warmth and seem more full of life than Aidren's blue ones which tended to be rather cold.

Those green eyes that fill with excitement when he talks about things he enjoys, when he looks at me. How could I not love them?