Fresh Start

MATTIA

I woke up in the morning to see an empty space next to me, she'd obviously left as quickly as she came.

"Mattia, wake up!"

Never mind.

I stretched out and got out of bed, grabbing my phone as I sat up. I couldn't see any messages that told me I was fired so I shrugged my shoulders and walked into the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, watching her plate breakfast whilst I took a glass of orange juice.

"I'm making it up to you" she said, pushing a plate of bacon and eggs towards me.

"Oh?" I looked down at the breakfast which actually looked quite good but I still hadn't forgotten about everything "so you making breakfast is supposed to make everything better?"

"No-"

"I'm just supposed to forget about you knowing my Dad was alive and not only that, you working with him whilst being perfectly aware of how he pretty much left the biggest hole in my life?" my voice got louder as I spoke.

I scoffed, pushing the plate towards her. She pressed her lips together, keeping her eyes low as I walked out of the kitchen to go get ready.

ATHENA

I don't know why I thought it'd be all better by the morning. Of course he was still mad, if I were him, I'd still be mad at me too.

I sighed, sitting at the table and eating breakfast. I was already ready, just waiting on Mattia. I looked at my schedule for the day as I saw a notification from my driver. He was a minute away.

I put my dishes away, checking my outfit quickly as I heard Mattia coming downstairs. I walked into the hallway to see him standing in a tuxedo.

"You look good" I said, giving him a small smile. He put his cuff links on, not looking at me or smiling.

"I know"

"Oh come on" I said, frowning as he put his jacket on. "I said I'm sorry, why can't we just move past it?"

"I don't know Athena, why don't you ask my Dad?"

My mouth dropped open a little at his remarks and I felt sick but the thought of an argument before work didn't sound so appealing to me.

I had an important meeting first thing and I needed no distractions. Mattia couldn't come with me so he'd wait in the car. I know he hated me right now but knowing he was only a few feet away made me feel safe enough.

-

"Thank you" I said, smiling at the driver as he closed the door behind us. We walked over to my house, Mattia thanking the women who held the doors open for us.

"Your meeting is in an hour"

We walked into the foyer to see my parents standing there, waiting for us as per usual, without Joey. Not seeing him sent a wave of happiness over me.

"I know, we're ready" I said, placing my phone in my bag and forcing a smile.

"Actually" said Mattia, clearing his throat quickly. He shuffled a little away from me, causing me to look over at him.

"I quit"

My eyes went wide as he took his ID off, placing it on the table in front of us. My parents raised their eyebrows but my stomach dropped instantly.

"What? No, no you can't quit" I stuttered, my eyes heating up as he looked over at me.

"Just did"

"No, Mattia-"

"Leave it alone, Athena" said my Dad but his words were just turning to mush in my head.

"No!" I shouted, grabbing Mattia's hand.

"Athena-"

"No, everyone just shut up a second" I cried, putting my other hand up to finally get their attention.

"I know I screwed up" I said, looking at him "but I swear I never meant it, Mattia. You're the only good thing in my life right now, I feel so safe with you. I don't care if we're more than just clients, I need you"

He sighed, pulling his hand back and placing it in his pocket. He didn't dare look at my parents.

"I just need a fresh start"

I opened my mouth to argue but he turned around and walked towards the doors.

Leaving me in complete and utter despair.