Negatives

Negative.

Another negative.

Vera collapsed to the bathroom tile, feeling the tears flow from her eyes.

She tried to keep her sobs silent, for fear of Patrick overhearing.

I don't know how much more I can take...

Ever since they tied the knot, Vera and Patrick knew they wanted to start a family right away.

Although, the couple didn't expect it to be so hard.

For 2 years, negative tests, doctors visits, medicines, and treatments were what occupied Vera's days.

Vera so desperately wanted a child, she couldn't hardly bear the thought of another negative test.

She was so tired of seeing that one solid line across the pregnancy test.

As she sobbed on the bathroom floor, a knock came on the locked door.

"Vera? Honey, let me in."

Vera didn't attempt to move.

He can figure it out himself that I want to be alone.

Another knock came.

"Vera, open the door."

The knob was jiggling forcefully.

"Vera, please..."

Vera never could handle Patrick's pleading voice.

It made her feel guilty.

He used it everytime she locked herself away in the bathroom.

Vera came to a seated position and reached for the door handle, unlocking the knob.

She then fell back to the floor, into her puddle of tears.

Patrick opened the door slowly and continued the normal routine.

He lowered himself to the floor and laid behind Vera.

With one arm wrapped around her waist and another combing through her auburn hair, Patrick reassured Vera through his silence.

A tear slipped from Patrick's eye.

Though he never showed Vera, Patrick wanted a baby just as much as she did.

It killed him that he couldn't give his wife a child.

The doctors weren't for sure at first, but after the Wilson's most recent visit they are positive that Vera is infertile.

Patrick knew that she wouldn't be able to handle the news that she most likely would never carry a child, so Patrick asked to speak to the doctor alone.

As they stepped outside, Patrick told the doc that he wanted Vera to think that Patrick was the reason they couldn't have a baby, not her.

The doctor understood and said that she would tell Vera.

Even thought it's not exactly Patrick who can't give the child, he still feels the guilt of not being able to heal Vera's pain.

As they laid together on the bathroom floor, the sun sunk beyond the horizon outdoors and the distraught couple fell asleep there, wrapped in each other's embrace.

•••

In her restless sleep, Vera dreamt of her and Patrick having their perfect little family of 3.

Patrick was clutching their beautiful baby in his arms.

Vera was unaware of the baby's gender, but it didn't matter to her, she only wanted the child to be healthy.