Day for Judy

Life was hectic, as always.

Cases upon cases upon cases.

It seemed to never cease.

I grew more tired, Ed grew more irritated, we fought; it was never a beautiful combination.

And Judy.

Our sweet baby girl.

She was growing older by the minute and I felt as if I was missing it all.

I know every parent says that their children grow too fast but I can personally say I feel as if I didn't even watch it happen.

It seems like she went from 6 to 11 in a matter of seconds.

One blink and there she was, grown into a bright young lady.

We had accepted 3 cases the day I decided to take a break.

Ed was extremely unhappy with me and refused to tell all of our clients that we would have to postpone the visit.

So then started up yet another fight.

Except this time, I brought up Judy.

"Ed, open your eyes! Our daughter needs us! Have you noticed how she never confides in us anymore, how she hides in her room all the time, only appearing to eat and go to school?! We're neglecting her, Ed, and we've been too caught up in our own problems to even notice!"

The fire in Ed's eyes extinguished as he glanced to the stairs that would lead to our bedrooms.

To Judy's room.

He then looked back to me and had a sullen stare.

He bowed his head in a shameful manner and pinched the bridge of his nose.

I could tell he was internally scolding himself, so I decided to intervene.

I took his hands in mine and leaned my forehead against his.

I sighed heavily.

"She's growing up, Ed. She needs us right now."

"I know, hun, I know. I can't believe how blind I've been."

I looked my husband straight in the eyes.

"Then let's go fix it."

Ed smiled at me and led me to the stairs, where we ventured up to knock softly on Judy's door.

A sweet voice resounded,

"Come in."

I turned the knob and peeked my head in the doorway, seeing Judy reading on her bed.

I hesitantly walked in, Ed following close behind, and took a seat on the edge of Judy's mattress.

She lowered her book to meet my eyes and I was shocked to see a look of annoyance on her face.

"Is there something you need? Am I in trouble?"

I looked to my husband who held his same solemn expression.

I then met my daughter's eyes.

"No, honey. We just came up to talk. There doesn't need to be something wrong for us to speak to you, now does there?"

Judy scoffed and tossed her legs over the side of the bed, her book landing on her bedspread.

"Well, kind of, yeah. You guys never talk to me otherwise."

That was a knife to the heart.

I motioned for Ed to initiate the next move.

He cleared his throat and kneeled on one knee to match Judy's height.