Monster

‼️ TW: talk of abuse and violence‼️

•••

Patrick strolled into the Starbucks on 5th street, aching for a strong coffee.

He was up until 2 am that morning, preparing for a huge audition he had at the end of the week.

DC comics had been a big part of his childhood and scoring the lead part in the new Aquaman movie would mean the world to him.

Patrick had to make sure his audition was perfect, or else someone would beat him out of the lead.

As he walked through the doors, one of his good friends noticed him from behind the counter and waved him over.

"Hey, Pat! Needing the norm?"

Patrick nodded while rubbing his temple.

"Iced shaken hazelnut toffee espresso with 2 pumps brown sugar, topped with cinnamon sweet cream cold foam?"

Patrick looked at his friend and added,

"Yes, but can you add 2 extra pumps of espresso? I'm really needing something strong and it's too early to crack open a bottle."

Patrick's friend chuckled and answered.

"Sure. How rough of a night was it, Patrick? Because, no offense, but you look like you haven't slept a wink for a good 2 weeks, bud."

As his friend laughed at her own joke, Patrick rolled his eyes and retorted,

"We don't question it, Amanda. Do me a favor and make my coffee, will ya? I'm already feeling a headache coming on and it's not even 8:00 yet."

Amanda giggled and smacked her hand on the tabletop, pacing to the coffee machine.

"Sure thing, sir cranky. Just try not to snap at anyone at the office today, alright? We don't need a repeat of last week."

Patrick laughed reluctantly.

"Yeah, we don't speak of that. Boss almost fired me right then and there. But, hey, it's not my fault Nancy can't handle constructive criticism."

Amanda walked back to the counter, topping off Patrick's drink, while speaking.

"By constructive criticism, you mean screaming at the lady for not filling your chocolate donut with jelly."

Patrick scoffed and responded.

"What can I say? She needed a little shove in the right direction. I was just trying to show her what'll happen if she does it again. You know, help her learn from her mistakes."

Amanda set Patrick's drink on the counter in front of him, calculating his payment.

"Patrick, she's your assistant, not your personal chef and student."

Patrick rolled his eyes as he slid the appropriate amount of cash to Amanda before grabbing his coffee.

"Whatever, Amanda. I'll see you later, I gotta get to the office. Those papers are just calling my name."

Amanda closed her eyes, holding in a laugh.

"I'm sure they are. See ya, Pat, don't bite any heads off today!"

He turned around just as he walked out the door, shouting back,

"I'll try not to!"

Patrick took a sip of his coffee and shook his head violently before swallowing.