"Me and You, Baby"

❗️TW: Talk of War and Loss❗️

The sparkling, white snowflakes gently dusted the grass as Ed stood by the window and watched, bags in hand. He'd always dreaded having to do this. Saying goodbye. The Christmas tree shone brightly on the left side of the living area as Ed slowly strode to the front door, awaiting his ride. Lorraine hesitantly followed, not wanting her husband to depart from her. But, the call to war had been more urgent than ever, and Ed knew he must go. This would be her first Christmas without Ed by her side.
Lorraine had never felt more alone. Although, she did have some company.

The small infant growing within her womb wouldn't leave her.

Ed wiped a tear from Lorraine's cheek.

He couldn't bear to watch her cry over his leaving.

But, World War 2 was becoming more vicious by the second and the navy desperately called for more soldiers.

The war needed him.

His country needed him.

Though there was no way to tell, Ed had a feeling that he would return safely to his wife and unborn baby.

Well, newborn baby rather, when he returned.

If  he even returned.

As he pulled his wife close, Ed admired the snowflakes drifting down from the sky.

Lorraine knew that the time for him to go was nearing, making her hug him even tighter.

Her stomach wasn't too large yet, the bump still fairly small.

But it was there and it was noticeable.

Lorraine knew how Ed was feeling about returning home, and she felt confident that he would come back.

Her clairvoyance reassured her.

Ed planted a light kiss on top of Lorraine's head, combing his fingers through her loose waves of auburn hair.

Breathing in the scent of her husband's cologne, Lorraine felt so at home, at peace.

She felt Ed's hand slip down to her stomach, rubbing it softly.

If only your daughter knew how much you love her...

Yes, Lorraine knew that their baby would be a girl.

Her blessing as a medium could also be a curse at times, ruining sweet surprises like such.

But she didn't mind.

She was more than overjoyed to be having a baby girl.

Of course, Ed didn't have a clue what the gender was.

This was something that she could keep to herself and not feel guilty about.

Lorraine was startled from her thoughts when a maroon buick super rolled into their drive, honking the horn.

Ed's ride had arrived.

Lorraine squeezed Ed tightly before releasing and staring up into her husband's deep blue eyes.

She felt a tear slip from her eye as they kissed one last time for the time being.