Two Pink Lines, Part 2

As Vera woke up and dressed later that morning, she felt a quick wave of nausea and dashed to the toilet.

Though there wasn't much left in her, she emptied her insides and kneeled by the toilet, wiping her mouth.

Patrick rushed in and wet a cloth, dabbing it against her forehead.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry I didn't get here in time, I was getting my clothes on."

Vera shook her head and stood up with Patrick's help.

"No, Patrick, it's okay. Just a little sick again, is all."

Patrick set the cloth back in the sink and walked out of the bathroom.

Vera walked after him, dusting herself off.

"Patrick, what are you doing?"

Patrick had his cell in his hand, dialing on the keypad.

"I'm contacting Doctor Shaney. It's 8:30 in the morning now, so maybe she'll answer."

Vera shook her head and crossed her arms at her husband.

He's something else, that's for sure. But he's all mine, Vera thought to herself.

Vera still felt quite nauseous but she knew it wouldn't go any further than that.

As she continued dressing herself in their rather large walk-in closet, she heard Patrick speak into the phone.

"Yes, hi, Dr. Shaney! So sorry about the early call but I have a problem."

*pause*

"Well, it's not really me, it's Vera, actually. She's been struggling with a fever, nausea and intense vomiting. It's been going on for a good week or 2 now and I'm getting worried. Could you maybe try and squeeze us an appointment later this afternoon?"

*pause*

"Yes, that's great! So you can get us in at 4? That's awesome, thanks so much Dr. Shaney! I'll see you then. Okay, bye now."

Vera walked out of the closet dressed in a white tank top with a plaid button up serving as a jacket and ripped blue jeans.

She walked over to Patrick and tapped him on the shoulder as he was checking his phone.

Vera asked,

"So, we have a scheduled appointment?"

Patrick faced her and smiled, answering,

"4:00 this afternoon."

Vera nodded her head and kissed Patrick on the cheek as a thank you.

As Vera made her way to the bathroom to finish her morning routine, Patrick loudly stated,

"I'll be making breakfast downstairs if you need me. We're having waffles!"

Vera almost choked on her toothpaste from laughing at her husband's excitement about cooking waffles.

Vera couldn't help but think what could be wrong with her.

It was spring, so it could just be the season change affecting her.

She did have bad allergies, so it wouldn't be too abnormal.

But for some reason, that didn't seem right to her.

Vera just couldn't put her finger on what it was.

•••

**Later that afternoon, 3:40 pm**