'Tis the Season

It was Christmas Eve. The snow was blowing fiercely outside Ed and Lorraine's suburban home in Connecticut. 6 year old Judy was sleeping soundly in her bedroom, awaiting Santa's arrival the next morning. Meanwhile, Ed and Lorraine were curled up on the couch, each with a mug of hot chocolate in hand, enjoying each other's company.

It wasn't very often that they got peace and quiet time together. What with them taking cases all the time and spending the free time they have with their little girl, it's hard to squeeze in time for just the 2 of them. Wrapped in Ed's embrace, staring at the beautiful Christmas tree that her and Judy decorated, and feeling the warmth of the mug in her hands, Lorraine was content right where she was. She wouldn't have it any other way.

As she began to drift off into a peaceful sleep, she felt Ed stir and say something.

Lorraine opened her eyes and looked up at Ed, sleepily.

Ed replaced his smile with a look of sorrow.

"I'm sorry, dear, I didn't mean to wake you. I didn't know you were sleeping."

Lorraine sat up and rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up.

"No, no, it's alright, Ed. What time is it, anyway?"

Ed glanced at the clock sitting on the mantle, above their cozy fireplace.

As he walked toward the mantle, Ed felt the heat of the roaring fire against his lower body.

He didn't have his glasses on, so it was difficult for him to read what the time was.

After a while, he responded,

"It's about quarter til 10."

Lorraine yawned and stretched, getting up from the couch.

"I don't know about you, hun, but that's about my bedtime."

As Lorraine walked toward the kitchen to dump out her hot chocolate, Ed caught up with her.

"Lorraine, wait. Please, just stay down here a bit longer."

Lorraine sighed and turned around to face her husband.

"Ed, honey, I'm tired. It's been a long day, I had a hard time keeping up with Judy, much less rounding her up tomorrow with all that candy and presents."

Ed knew his wife was tired, he could see it.

But, he missed her.

Between the week before Thanksgiving in November and the first of the year in January, Ed and Lorraine decide not to take cases so they can celebrate the holidays with family without risk of spirits wrecking havoc.

Without cases being taken, that means Ed works full time at his office job instead of just part time.

Being away from his wife and daughter all day kills him, since he hardly gets to spend time with them as it is.

Sadly, Ed couldn't manage to get off both days, so he had to sacrifice and work Christmas Day.

It broke his heart, having to tell Judy he wouldn't be able to watch her open gifts that morning.

She cried a little but for the most part, she understood.

Judy was used to her parents not being around for everything, she had to grow accustomed to it at a very young age.

Lorraine's mom, Georgiana, was around to help take care of Judy and keep the house in shape whenever Ed and Lorraine were taking cases.

But it just wasn't the same.

Judy loves her nana, with everything her little heart has.

But, she needs her parents.

Every little girl does.

Seeing her cry made Ed feel such guilt, he couldn't explain it.

Lorraine comforted him and told him she would get over it, but he couldn't shake that feeling of guilt.

His own baby cried because of him.

He wasn't going to make the same mistake with Lorraine.

Ed softly took Lorraine's hands and looked her in her beautiful blue eyes.

"I know, dear, I know. But, you saw how upset Judy was today when I told her I couldn't be here. I can't shake the feeling that you..."

Lorraine dropped Ed's hand and moved her own up to Ed's cheek, slightly caressing it.

"Ed, if you're afraid I'm upset with you for working tomorrow, don't be. I'm not. It's not your fault, you have to provide for this family when we can't provide together. Believe me, honey, I'm not upset. It was more than enough, knowing that you were here to watch Judy open her presents from mom and my siblings. And don't feel guilty about Judy either, I'm sure she's forgotten by now."

Ed smiled at his wife.

He thought,

How does she always know exactly what to say?

With that, Ed took Lorraine's hands and walked her back to the living room.

Lorraine, a confused expression on her face, questioned,

"Ed, what are you doing?"

As Ed walked to the book shelf on the opposite side of the Christmas tree, Lorraine knew exactly what he was planning.

Lorraine smiled and walked toward Ed, ready for what was going to happen next.

As the record slowly spun, Elvis's Can't Help Falling in Love filled the Warren's small living area.

Smiling, Ed turned around, only to find Lorraine with her hand extended in front of her.

As Ed took his wife's delicate hand, she giggled when he spun her.

Through laughter, Lorraine said,

"Shouldn't we be playing Christmas music?"

Ed laughed and pulled Lorraine back in close to him, squeezing her hand softly against his chest.

"Cmon, hun, you know this is our song. Can't miss my moment to play it."

Lorraine smiled and laid her head against Ed's chest.

Hearing his heartbeat, feeling the warmth of his skin against hers, and the gentle sway of the music in his embrace, Lorraine closed her eyes.

Can't get any better than this,

She thought.

Lorraine knew Ed would have to go away to work in the morning and it would leave her heartbroken.

So, she took advantage of this moment with her husband, knowing it would probably be one of the only moments they have together before the holidays end.

The music began to fade as Lorraine drifted off to sleep in Ed's embrace.

Ed always was amazed at how his wife could be so tired as to fall asleep standing straight up.

He gently lifted her legs from the ground as she curled up in a ball against his chest.

It hurt him to be aware of how light she was.

Lorraine barely ate enough to keep a bird alive.

But, she was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on.

Ed effortlessly carried her up to their bedroom and shut the door, preparing the both of them for sleep.

That Christmas Eve, the world fell asleep to the sweet soothing sound of Elvis's record.

•••

a/n: hey y'all! feels great to be back! here's a little wholesome Ed and Lorraine moment, right around christmas time too! hope you all enjoy this short, have a merry christmas and a happy new year!!