First Sight

P A T R I C K

I didn't mean to fall in love with Vera.

When it happened, I was a happily taken man who had a fairly stable job with a pleasurable income.

I owned a 2-story farmhouse in the country with plenty of open acreage for crops and livestock.

My life might've seemed perfect to outsiders who didn't really know me and even to those who did.

And at the time, it certainly was perfect for me.

You could say I had it all.

But I didn't.

Not at all.

I didn't have her.

•••
V E R A

Patrick was one of a kind.

The minute we locked eyes, I could feel it.

But he was taken, in a relationship.

And so was I.

So, I suppose you could say it came unexpectedly.

I was over the moon with my fiancé, a man who I'd been with for almost 4 years and I couldn't imagine myself being with anyone else.

That was, until him.

•••
P A T R I C K

I told Amanda I was going out for groceries and would return soon.

She kissed me goodbye and sent me on my way.

I hopped in my old Chevy, turned the key switch, and backed out of the drive.

With the windows rolled down and AC/DC blasting on the stereo, I was having the time of my life.

Before long, I pulled into a parking spot at our local grocery store, and switched off the truck.

Grabbing a basket and making my way to the breakfast aisle with my previous AC/DC jam session still in mind, I was oblivious to my surroundings.

Humming along to the tunes in my head, I didn't even notice the young woman behind me.

I grabbed my desired cereal and turned much too quickly, crashing into the woman.

I was stunned only for a moment, until I realized I'd knocked her to the floor.

Feeling guilty, I extended a hand and voiced my apologies.

"Oh geez, I'm so sorry, miss."

Noticing the shiny ring on her finger, I corrected myself,

"Mrs."

She chuckled as I helped her stand while rubbing the side of her hip.

"It's alright, no worries! I could tell you were quite lost in your music. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I were lurking, I was only intrigued."

Intrigued? By me?

I nervously laughed, unsure what to say next.