Chapter Thirty-Eight

The humming of the quinjet as it hovered high up in the air was all Caden heard when she awoke from her state of exhausted sleep. That, and the lub-dubbing of Bucky's heart against her head. Subconsciously, she pressed her face closer to the source of the beating, finding solace in the simple sound. 

Slowly, her senses began to wake up, and she realized that she no longer felt tight arms around her back. She opened one eye, then the next, finally lifting her head enough to see that Bucky was sound asleep in his seat, his head tilted to the side, a slight part in his lips. Caden smiled softly, taking one of her hands to brush away a strand of hair that had fallen across his face. It had grown so much since they had cut it in New York, all those months ago.

Years ago, it felt, after everything that they had been through. 

"You're awake," Rogers said from the pilot's seat. He threw her a look, smiling with his mouth but not with his eyes. Caden knew him well enough to know that he was hiding his true feelings, his fears, in front of her. 

"Thanks," Caden said. "For letting me sleep. I needed that time to recover."

"Not all of us can be super soldiers," Rogers winked. Caden smiled back, noticing a tiny light in his eyes come to the surface. 

"How long has Buck been asleep?" Caden asked, removing herself from Bucky's light grip and standing up to stretch her stiff muscles. 

"Not too long," Rogers said as he gripped the controls of the quinjet to begin a descent. "He should be up for this though. We're almost here."

"Where is 'here?'" Caden asked as she peered out of the windows, straining to see anything against the stark white of the landscape around them.

"Siberia."

Caden turned to look at Bucky, who was awake and staring straight ahead. His hands gripped the chair handles so hard that his knuckles had paled against the tan of the rest of his body. Caden glanced at his left hand, noting the obvious deformity in the metal handle under the grip of his metal arm. She extended her hand to him, pulling him up and towards her. 

"Why are we in Siberia?" She asked, not fully aware of the plan that Rogers and Bucky had discussed. 

Rogers said nothing, merely focusing on descending their aircraft. 

"Buck." Caden turned to face him, looking him in the eyes. "What is going on?" 

"This is where I am from."

~~~

"Zema is here?" Caden asked, feeling a flicker of anger beginning to swell deep within her. "He has come here to this lair of supersoldiers that have been asleep for how long? He wants to control them, and your plan is to TALK to him? Convince him to, what, come out of his crazy, murderous state of mind?" 

"Pretty much," said Rogers, his lips forming a straight line. 

"And Tony, who doesn't know where we are - yet - knows where Zema is?"

"Presumably."

Caden smiled sarcastically. "Awesome." 

"Suit up," Rogers said, pointing to a closet with some tactical clothes, an armory of guns and weapons beside it. "We don't know what we're going to face inside, and if Stark gets here it could be even worse."

She let out a shaky breath before falling into the seat behind her. She rubbed her eyes with her hands, attempting to absorb this information. "I can fight with Tony all day. You've seen it. But this kind of fighting? He's family, Steve."

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Sep 06, 2021 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Titanium ~A Bucky Barnes Love Story~जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें