Chapter Twenty-Six

"Caden, I have a special mission for you," Coulson said as he walked in to her office.

"Pleasure to see you, too, Coulson," Caden said with a small smile as she sat typing on her computer. "Can this special mission wait until my work is over? I am working on some new exercises for Barnes." 

She has always been careful talking with a professional air instead of a casual one when it came to Bucky around Coulson, but now she was extra-cautious. She did not want him to find out about the Soldier incident that had happened only 48 hours ago, nor did she want the agents to inform him of what they had walked in to when they forced their way into Bucky's room. It was true that Stark had found them and threatened them with the Iron Man suit to an inch of their lives if they ever brought it up, promising them with a meet and greet with the Hulk if he were to find out that Bucky was sent to the Tundra because of them. She still didn't want to take chance of being found out.

"Considering my secretary is transferring Captain Rogers over to your phone, I would consider it a somewhat serious matter."

"You have a secretary?" Caden asked skeptically as her phone rang on cue, picking it up after indeed seeing Rogers' familiar name. "Hey, Steve, what do you got for me?" She asked, motioning for Coulson that it was okay for him to leave now.

"Caden, I need your help," said Rogers from the other end. "I am going from dead end to dead end with this spy mission Coulson put me on. Every politician we get our sights on seem to figure out that Sam and I are on to them and they completely shut up about what they plan to do to Buck if they find him. Which, naturally, I wouldn't be upset about, because Natasha is the spy. But while Nat is the only one having a little success with following them silently, all she's gotten out of them is what Coulson has already told us."

Caden leaned back in her chair. "So what do you want me to do, Steve?" She asked.
"I need your help from the inside, Cade."

Caden sat up slightly. "What do you mean?" She asked, though she had a sick feeling in her gut that knew exactly what he meant.

"I need you to talk to him," Rogers said softly.

"No," Caden said immediately.

"Please, Caden, I need you to do this. Our hunch is that Hydra still exists within the government. He was a part of it all, so our best bet is that he has some information that we could use. We need to know their play when it comes to Bucky. If we are not one step ahead of them, if we don't know what they are planning to do, out chances of keeping Buck safe plummet." 

"Don't make me do this, Steve," Caden said.

"You have the best chance of getting anything out of him, Cade. He'll talk to you, you know that as well as I do. Please," Caden could hear the desperation in his voice through the phone. "Caden, you know I wouldn't ask you to do this if I had a choice."

Caden sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Alright, I'll do it," she finally mumbled. "I'll get back to you if I get anything out of him."

"Thank you, Caden," Rogers said, the relief imminent in his voice as he sighed. "You are seriously the best, you know?"

"I know I am, Cap," Caden laughed. "I hope you remember this little favor whenever I need something from you."

"You know I will."

~~~

"Why?" Bucky asked.

"Because, I need to do this," Caden said. "And I'm not doing it alone, Coulson has my back on this. I've already talked to him about it. It's necessary."

"No, it's not necessary to put yourself through that for me," Bucky countered.

"It is necessary, Buck!" Caden argued. "It is necessary if I don't want to lose you to the government, or the tundra for that matter. I told you I wasn't leaving you ever again, and if you get taken away, I won't be allowed to be with you. I don't intend to break my word."