Chapter Six

After all the food had been consumed, (Barnes had taken an apparent, though unsurprising, liking to Caden's shawarma), the table was cleared, and Caden was found scrubbing the dishes in the kitchen. Bucky was beside her, carefully and deliberately drying each dish with a towel-- much to Caden's utter delight, it had been his idea to help.

"So, what do you usually do with Steve in the evenings when I'm not around?" Caden asked, up to her elbows in bubbles.

Bucky shrugged. "Nothing, not anything I remember. He would just talk to me."

Note to self, give Rogers ideas for activities to do with a recovering ex-assassin.

"Well, how about after this, what do you say we break open some icecream and watch a movie, hm?" She suggested as she finished washing the last fork.

Bucky looked over at her with a confused look on his face.

"What?" Caden asked, wrinkling her nose. "Fine, if you want to do something else, hit me up."

"I'm not going outside," Bucky muttered. "I can't, I'm not ready."

"Who ever said anything about leaving the Tower?" Caden asked.

"You-you said... A movie... the cinemas... Don't you have to go there to watch a movie?"

Caden mentally facepalmed. "Okay, putting aside the fact that you just remembered something small from your old life at a mere mention of a word," she winked at him. "You no longer have to go to the cinemas to watch movies," she explained. "They now have DVDs, DVR's, On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, U-Verse, and I am confusing you, aren't I?" She stumbled on her words at the look of confusion, mixed with slight annoyance, with a pinch of disgust, on Bucky's face.

"You lost me after the first one," Bucky muttered.

"I'm sorry," Caden said, stifling a laugh. "They are all really cool ways to watch movies these days at home without having to go to the cinema. They're pretty awesome."

After draining the water and drying her hands on the towel, Caden walked over the freezer, pulling open the door. "So about that ice cream, what flavor do you like, Sarge? Anything in particular? I can almost guarantee you I have it; this baby is dedicated to ice cream."

Bucky walked over to her, his eyes widening in surprise. "That's a lot of ice cream. You eat that? All by yourself?"

"Don't be ridiculous, I'm not that gluttonous!" Caden said, faking a wounded look. "This is all extra from when Commander Hill comes to pay me a visit. Once she heard of my mutual love of this creamy goodness, she made it her personal duty to invade my apartment whenever she is here on business, and together we may or may not polish off a carton or two she'd bring over. Wanna know a secret?" She asked, motioning for Bucky to lean in. "Ice cream is Hill's single known weakness. I strongly suggest that you use that to your advantage," she whispered, patting Bucky on the shoulder.

"What kind of flavors do you have?" Bucky asked quickly, shirking away from Caden's touch as he remembered with slight unease the feeling he felt earlier.

A look of slight, real hurt on her face, Caden turned to the ice cream. "We have, Rocky Road, Strawberry, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peppermint, Spearmint, Chocolate, Vanilla-"

"I used to love vanilla," Bucky said fondly, crossing his arms. "I remember...." He trailed off, his brow furrowed.

Caden looked at him, silently urging him to continue.

"I remember... That... Steve and I both had Vanilla ice cream cones at Coney Island. Then, we went on... The Cyclone, and I remember he threw up. Everywhere." Bucky said, giving a short, dry laugh.