Chapter Nineteen

"Cade?" Tony called through the phone, concern laced through his voice at the sound of Caden's sobs. "What's happening over there? Are you homesick already? Is it Bucky? Cap's heading up there late tonight. Don't worry, he'll be there soon-"

"No," Caden interrupted, furiously wiping her tears. "Tony, he-he's here. I just saw him."

Tony sighed on the other end. "Did you talk to him? Caden, please, tell me you didn't talk to him!"

Caden nodded her head. "I did," she whispered. "I had to. I had to see for myself if... If he had changed."

"And he hasn't, has he?" Tony asked.

"No."

"Doesn't surprise me, that son of a bitch," Tony muttered. "How are you holding out? You didn't listen to the delusional bastard, did you?"

"I stopped listening to Grant a long time ago, Tony," Caden said. "That doesn't make the hurt any less." She sighed audibly, pushing her hair behind her ear. "To be honest, I don't even know why I went down there. There was just something in me, one last spark of hope, that there was still some good left in him. That he could be brought back."

"Damn you and your need to fix everything," Tony muttered under his breath. "Caden, I want you to listen to me carefully, got it? Cuz I'm about to give you the best advice you'll hear in the cold-hearted hellhole you're at: Don't go anywhere near Ward, unless someone is with you, and even then don't go by him. Don't stay by yourself so you're not tempted to go see him. Stick around Winter."

Caden gave a small, wry laugh. "Yeah... About that."

"Oh, god, Caden!" Caden could hear Tony smacking his forehead. "What the hell did you do to your patient?"

"It was all just one big misunderstanding," Caden said regretfully. "On the Bus, I saw Skye again. She got under my skin and she knew it. I lost my temper and snapped at Bucky. Now he thinks I'm mad at him."

"Well," Tony said sarcastically. "That, my dear cousin, sounds like a personal problem. However, I suggest you take another piece of my great advice and just go talk to Bucky and apologize."

Caden rolled her eyes. "Like you always do, right Tony?"

"As always."

Caden laughed, exasperated. "Screw you, Anthony," she said, shaking her head.

Tony laughed. "Love you, too, cos. Good luck with everything then, don't wreck anything else, try to stay alive until I get there tomorrow, the usual."

"Of course, Tony," Caden said sarcastically. "See you tomorrow."

~~~

It wasn't until a couple hours- she had in fact fallen asleep- that Caden finally stood up. Grimacing, she stretched out her stiff limbs.

"I'm getting too old for this," she groaned as she arched her back, hearing a satisfying pop.

Once the circulation had returned to her legs, Caden walked towards her door, yanking the heavy metal open and stepping out into the hallway. It was dim, almost dark, meaning it was night. She looked across at Bucky's door. It was closed, obviously, but the faint light leaking through the bottom of the door told Caden that Bucky was still awake. Sucking in a deep breath, she walked over to his door, knocking gently.

Almost immediately, Bucky opened the door. When he saw Caden, the dull, sad look on his face turned into a small smile.

"I'd thought you were asleep," Bucky said. "It's after midnight."