Chapter Thirty-One

"Oh-" Caden muttered an expletive upon sizing up their new foe.

"Stay here and stay down!" Bucky commanded as he set her down. She slumped against a box on the roof as Bucky raced to confront him.

She watched with painful effort, barely being able to stand due to extreme dizziness, as Bucky swung at his opponent, missing and getting a kick in the chest as a return. He went right back into the fight without hesitation. But the man in the black suit was able to block every one of Bucky's attacks, punching him in the stomach and kicking him in the face before sending him into one of the boxes.

She didn't even have the energy to cry out when the masked man swung his claws at Bucky's head, narrowly missing as he was able to dodge at the last second. Bucky was able to get out from under him, but the man jumped and pivoted off the box, hitting Bucky's head with his claws and knocking him off his feet. Bucky wouldn't go down easy, and he was able to catch the man and flip him over his body. Caden watched as he grabbed a metal pipe next to his head, blocking the man's claws from slicing open his face. It didn't protect him for long before the man snapped the pipe in half, still aiming for his face.

"Buck.." Caden rasped as he caught the man's hands, just near inches from his face. She extended a hand towards him, her other bloodied as she held on to her wounded hip, but stumbled as she tried to take a step, falling to her knees and crying out in agony as the white hot pain from impact coursed through her body.

She looked up just in time to see someone jumping from the window.

"Steve!" She managed to find the willpower to cry out his name. Help Bucky, just help Bucky, was the only thought going through her mind.

Rogers looked at her and began running towards the fight, before a round of gunshots lit up the roof. She ducked behind the box, as both she and Rogers heard the sounds of a helicopter nearby.

"Sam!" He bellowed into his radio.

Painfully, she raised her eyes to the chopper that was pinging bullets off the masked man's impenetrable suit, which was distracting him momentarily from Bucky. Out of nowhere flew Sam, plowing feet first by the tail rudder, knocking it off balance.

Caden didn't have time to register what was happening before Bucky was finally able to shake the man off him. He grabbed his backpack and started sprinting at inhuman speed towards Caden, whisking her up like she weighed nothing, and headed towards the edge of the roof.

"Hold on, Caden, just hold on," he whispered into her ear.

She looked back as they neared the drop off, seeing that the man was not too far behind them. "Buck," she gasped through ragged breaths.

Bucky didn't look back as he began to nimbly hop down each level of the building. They didn't get too far before the painful screeching of metal on metal was heard and the man right on their tails.

"Hang on to me," Bucky instructed as he held Caden tight and jumped the remaining few stories. As soon as his feet hit the floor he was running, the man right behind them.

Caden moaned in pain as her body shook with each step he took. Through her blurry vision, she could see dark spots of blood following right along side Buck'y footsteps. Looking back up, she saw the shine of Rogers' shield as he jumped down after them, taking after their attacker. How she hoped he would distract him enough for the two of them to get away.

"Please, Steve," she murmured as beads off sweat began to form on her forehead, glistening in the morning sun. Her vision began to grow black.

"Caden," Bucky's voice broke through. "Caden, keep your eyes on me! Don't fall asleep. I'm going to get you help."