Chapter Thirty-Three

Caden was lead into a large, dark room, the only pieces of furniture being a metal table and a couple of chairs. Ross pointed to one, gesturing her to take a seat.

"You're such a gentleman," Caden said with a snarky tone as she yanked the seat out and sat down.

"Wait here until our evaluator is here," Ross ordered as he walked out. "Oh, and do behave and not talk to Barnes without anyone in the room. We don't need you to persuade him of anything before he his evaluated."

"Bullshit I won't talk to him," she muttered under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Your wish is my command."

Caden sat in the cold room for a good ten minutes before a door on the far end opened, and a clear metal cage rolled through.

It was him.

"Bucky!" She exclaimed, doing exactly what she had been instructed not to do as she bolted from her seat to where Bucky was. She ran right up to the window of it, pressing her hands into the bulletproof glass as she made impact.

"You're okay," she breathed. "It's going to be okay."

"I'm scared, Caden," Bucky mumbled, his fists balling up tightly under the restraints.l

"I know you are," Caden said. "Bucky, listen to me. They are allowing me to be in the room while a doctor evaluates you psychologically. I will be right here the entire time. I promise."

"You won't leave?" Bucky asked incredulously.

"No, Bucky," Caden smiled slightly. "If you get scared, just look at me. I'm not going to leave you."

"What are they going to be asking me?"

"I honestly don't know, but I can imagine a few things."

Bucky clenched his eyes and shuttered.

"Look at me, Buck," Caden said frantically. "You do NOT have to answer ANYTHING they ask, is that clear? Do what you need to do to get it over with as quickly as possible and I promise I will be right there when it is all over to get you out of this." Her fist banged on the glass for emphasis.

Bucky nodded, swallowing hard.

The lock on the door behind them clicked open.

"He's here," Caden said, glancing behind her shoulder. "Listen to me, stay calm, breathe, and keep eye contact with me." She started to back up to where she was sitting before. "I love you, James."

"I love you, too," Bucky responded right before the door opened.

A weasly looking man with glasses slinked into the room making himself very comfortable next to Caden.

"Hello, Mr. Barnes," he began. "I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit?" He turned to Caden, who just rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Make yourself comfortable," she grunted.

The man shuffled some things around. "So. Your first name is James?"

Bucky stayed silent, looking only at Caden.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few question," said the evaluator. "Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"It's Bucky," Caden and Bucky said at the same time.

"Tell me, Bucky," the evaluator ignored Caden and leaned forward. "You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"