Chapter Twenty-One

"What are we doing here?" Bucky asker, looking around the gym.

Caden smiled. "You haven't done anything really... Fun since you came to us," she said. "I thought you might enjoy yourself here." She motioned her arm across the room. "So, what do you want to do first? It's wide open, Barnes."

Bucky's eyes floated across the room, before landing on the boxing ring in the middle.
"I haven't sparred in the longest time," he said, almost wistfully.

Caden smiled. "Well, lucky for you, I was prepared for that." She walked over to the side of the ring, picking through a couple pairs of gloves and helmets. "You ever boxed before?" She asked.

"I'm not sparring you, Caden," Bucky said, slightly horrified.

"Of course you are," Caden said, rifling through the gloves, trying to find her size. "Well, they aren't pink," she said ruefully, holding up a pair. "They'll do, though." She turned to Bucky. "So why won't you box with me?"

"Because - well, I'm mean - you're, well, you're a woman - er, small, I mean..." Caden raised an eyebrow, placing a hand on her hip as Bucky trailed off. "I don't want to hurt you," he finally finished.

Caden laughed lightly. "You don't have to worry about that, Buck. I'm a boxer in my spare time. Besides, Steve used to be my sparring partner, so it's not like I'm not used to fighting off big scary super soldiers."

"I don't know," Bucky shook his head, still unconvinced.

"C'mon, it'll be fun!" Caden pleaded. "Look, if you're scared about using your big, mean, scary, metal arm, you're going to be wearing gloves. It's not like I'm going to fight off that arm without protection!" She held up her own gloved hands.

Bucky sighed. "Fine, but you have to wear one of those," he motioned towards the helmets.

"Done," Caden grinned, pulling one over her head and throwing another at Bucky, along with some gloves. "Try those and see if they fit your gigantic hands." She grabbed a couple of packets with little colored U-shaped objects inside. She ripped them open, popping a pink one in to her mouth.

"They fit," Bucky turned back to her after assembling his gear.

"Great," Caden mumbled through her mouth guard. "Here," she tossed Bucky a black one.
Bucky's eyes widened instantly, and he smacked the piece away with his gloved fist.

"Dude," Caden took out her own mouthpiece in shock. "Bucky, what's up?" She asked, a mix of concern and surprise etched across her face.

"I'm not wearing that," he muttered, staring evilly at the little black piece lying helplessly on the ground.

"Bucky, it's for your-"

"I'm not wearing it," he turned to Caden, a look of pure rage on his face.

"Okay, okay." Caden held her hands up. "It's all cool, don't worry about it." She made a mental note to talk to Bucky- or even Steve- about this later.

The anger immediately washed off Bucky's face, giving way to one of pain. "I'm sorry," he murmered. "I-"

"Don't worry about it," Caden smiled gently. She nodded her head towards the ring, sliding under the ropes. "Come on in now, let's have some fun."

Bucky climbed into the ring cautiously, staring down at his gloved hands and turning them awkwardly. "I've never sparred with these," he said.

Caden raised her arms in a shrug. "Well, I suppose you'll just go with the flow then." She popped her mouth guard back into her mouth, motioning for Bucky to start.