i gave all my oxygen to people that could breathe

small excerpt that is directly related to my life situation. toxic friends😍😍😍😍😍
———

maybe peter was used to the neglectful words people have said to him, the words he'd brush off with a smile.

maybe it's because he grew up shy. never liked the spotlight, but liked to be in the conversation. sitting at the sideline, and that being his comfort zone.

maybe it's because he treated people like human beings and not trash that they had been used too. using tough love when needed, and never judging you based on your interest.

maybe it's because he was the go to friend for everyone. everyone told peter their problems, making him worry day and night if they were okay and safe. staying up late texting them, because sometimes it felt like he was holding their life in his hands.

maybe keeping the peace in every friendship he had leading up to freshman year, is what made people think of peter as so easy going and chill.

but maybe that's what made him kinder. more aware, gave him a better sense that everyone is going through something you don't know about. That behind the curtain, is an array of characters people put on for different people.

and maybe that's why he was so easily influenced and liked by people who got to know him. no matter what, peter would always be there for you. because he has such an empathetic heart, that people use against him.

and maybe that's why they always left or distanced themselves. because when peter would try and help them realize that they themselves need to better themselves. they gaslight till peter doesn't know left from right.

when peter called them out on their toxic behavior, or lies he caught them in. they get too defensive, too quick, twisting lies and truths till peter is out of flames.

maybe in the end being a good person doesn't get you loved, it just gets you used.