Partners

Summary: Does Chat Noir ever feel left out when Ladybug brings in Carapace and Rena Rouge? Yes. And is his partner slowly forgetting about him? Yep.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•
A/N: not beta read so read at your own risk. Ok bye

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•
"Chat Noir!" Ladybug screams just in time as Chat Noir dodges out of the way of a blast from another akumatized villain. When Shadowmoth will ever give up, she doesn't know, but it's definitely not today. She needs all the help she can get, and her and Chat Noir are outmatched.

"We need help! I'll be right back. Try to hold him back."

"Of course, m'lady." Chat flips off a building and starts running in the opposite direction, leading the akumatized victim away from Ladybug. When she's sure she's safe to leave, she swings from building to building to grab her other companions.

She reaches Alya first. "Alya Cesaire, this is the Fox miraculous. You will use it for the greater good and return it to me once the task is done." She holds out the necklace and Alya takes it. "Guard this with your life, for it must not be out in the wrong hands." Alya smiles and quickly transforms. They bound off to find Nino.

"Nino Laffie, this is the Turtle miraculous. You will use it for the greater good and return it to me once the task is complete. Guard this with your life, for it must not get into the wrong hands." She holds out the bracelet and he takes it, putting it on his wrist.

"Don't worry, Ladybug. I'll protect it." She smiles and nods, then he transforms.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

They race through the city and spot Chat Noir doing exactly what Ladybug asked. When he sees them, for a split second Ladybug swears she sees a flicker of hurt in his eyes, but then he's smiling and fighting and dodging blasts the villain shoots his way.

The trio reaches him in a matter of moments, jumping and flying toward the ground.

Carapace traps himself and Chat Noir in a shell, while Rena Rouge makes an illusion of Ladybug inside the magic shell too. The real Ladybug sneaks up behind the villain and grabs the akumatized object, smashing it on to ground with her foot.

"No more evil-doing for you little butterfly." She catches it in her yo-yo and releases it. "Miraculous Ladybug!" She yells, fixing all the damage from the akuma attack.

Carapace and Rena Rouge join Ladybug and hold out their fists, ready for the pound it, but she doesn't say the words just yet. Something's missing. She looks up to see Chat Noir's shoulders slumped as he watched them almost pound it without him. Ladybug cocks her head and waves him over with a hand. He slowly walks over to them and holds his fist out.

She smiles weakly at him then turns to the others and says, "pound it!"

******************

Chat sighs and turns to leave but Ladybug grabs his arm. He turns to her, frowning.

"Chat, what's wrong?" She asks.

He glances behind her and straightens. "Don't you need to get them home? I'll see you later." He turns and jumps away, leaving his Lady standing alone and confused in his wake.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

"Chat Noir?" A voice says from behind him. He doesn't bother looking behind him. "Chat, what was wrong today?" A familiar red and black body sits beside him. He glances at her.

"Ladybug, I wasn't even useful today. You didn't tell me what was going on."

She looks away. "That's what this is about. I'm sorry."

"I wasn't even needed today," he whispers.

"Chat, I'm sorry. I- I needed their help. I'm not saying that I didn't need you, but I needed Carapace's shell and Rena Rouge's illusions. I'm sorry for not consulting with you, that's my fault."

He turns away from her sad face, tears stinging his eyes as he does. He will not cry. "Ladybug," he chokes around the sobs trying to push their way out. "I feel like you're forgetting about me. I thought we were partners." A sound comes out of Ladybug and he shivers.

"We are, Kitty. I'm not forgetting, I like having the help from Carapace and Rena Rouge, but I promise you, I'm not forgetting about you."

"I can't help but feel left out. I'm not too bothered by Rena Rouge and Carapace helping, but that you didn't talk with me about it. Even my cataclysm wasn't needed." He looks at her and sees all the hurt he feels in her eyes. She knows how he feels, she knows it's hurting him, and yet she hurts too. He knows she hates it when people around her are feeling upset.

She shakes her head and apologizes again. "I'm sorry for not speaking with you." He looks away from her. "And you are my partner. Now and always, Chat Noir," she grabs his hand so he risks turning his head to her face. "Always. We will always be partners. Even if Shadow Moth destroys Paris, we'll be there to fight. Even if Carapace and Rena Rouge or other Miraculous holders are needed. Me and you," she's looking at him with wide, meaningful eyes. She smiling too. "Me. And. You." She squeezes his hand and he squeezes back.

"Always?" He whispers.

She nods, still smiling. "I would never want a different person to help save the world with, Chat Noir. Even Rena Rouge and Carapace can't compete with your pawful puns." She giggles as he gapes at her.

"Did you just say a pun!?" She grins and after a minute, he finds himself grinning too.

"Don't get used to it," she squeezes his hand once more.

"You mean it, though? Me and you?"

She gives him a reassuring look. "Of course, I do. I only ever have so much fun with you."

He nods. "I'm sorry forgetting mad. You're the Guardian, and it's my bad for not trusting your decision."

"No, Chat. I'm sorry. I should have told you the plan in the first place and I should know better than using Carapace and Rena Rouge for help all the time. I think I'm forgetting the more I bring them into these situations, the more at risk their identities are."

"I forgive you, Ladybug. I could never hold that against you, though I agree that their identities are more at risk, especially now that Shadowmoth is getting more creative with his powers. But I forgive you and I try to trust that you are doing the right thing."

She smiles warmly, her blue eyes shining in the evening sun. "I know." Then she holds her fist out, looking at him with a sparkle in her eyes. Chat cocks his head. "Pound it partner," she says, shaking her fist.

He holds his own fist out and smiles at her. "Pound it," they say together, eyes locked on the other.

They stay there for a while, basking in the late summer sun, sitting hip to hip, hands interlocked. At some point, Chat doesn't remember when, but their fingers entwined together and neither him nor Ladybug made a move to let go of each other.