Chapter Nineteen

It was late when you got to Dohbar. The sun was almost fully set and it was well past the normal "dinner time". You hadn't expected anyone to be around when you got there, so you were surprised to see Kwol standing in the palace hangar.

You noticed him watching you intently as you landed, maneuvering the royal transport into a position that would be able to make a quick exit if necessary. Part of you was hoping that the council would call you back before your break was up. You were still beyond furious that they removed you from the war, even if it was only for a little bit. You couldn't see how it was a smart move, or how it was fair.

As you descended the boarding ramp, you saw Kwol fold his arms across his chest. His face was set in a glare as you approached.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, not bothering to hide his displeasure.

"I've been sidelined. I need to take a break from the war, apparently," you responded. "I thought I might as well come here and try to get some stuff done."

"Oh, like you've been failing to do since the war started?" He said dryly.

"I've been trying! It's not exactly easy to lead a battalion into battle and rule a planet at the same time," you shot back.

"Whatever," he said, turning and walking towards the doors.

"You know, people usually say 'welcome home' when someone returns!" You shout at his retreating figure.

"Thanks for visiting," he sarcastically yelled back. You huffed and folded your own arms, internally groveling at his sour mood. You had only just gotten back, and he'd already decided that this was how he was going to behave.

You had known things would likely be tense between the two of you, but you hadn't expected it to be right from the start, or this tense. The air around you had felt as though you could slice through it with a vibroblade. It was enough to make someone choke.

You tried to shake it off, focus on relaxing and preparing for the next day. You went to the kitchen, deciding to eat since you hadn't gotten a chance on the ship. You calmed yourself as you made your dinner, humming a Mandalorian tune Echo often hummed when you fell asleep together, or when you just sat in silence, holding one another.

"Queen Monako!" You heard a royal aid call, "how lovely to see you again!"

"Hey, Mai-Lee!" You responded, turning to pull her into a hug.

"What are you doing back here? I know the war isn't over yet. Oh, please don't tell me you've been injured!" She said, eyes suddenly scanning your body. When she saw nothing concerning, her eyes returned to yours.

"I've been sidelined. I displayed some very 'not Jedi' actions, and the council wants me to take a break from the war."

"Not Jedi actions?" She questioned.

"I was using my anger to fight. They see it as a way to fall to the darkside. They're worried I might go down the wrong path if I continue the way I was."

"Oh, I see," she said. "Well, I've known you for quite a while, and I don't think you could ever fall."

"Yeah, I hope you're right. Not that I feel like I could or will, but you never know who might. That's the thing about being a Jedi. You think you know your friends so well, but even the best of them could lose it all." You paused to look at her, and she held more concern now. "Sorry, that got deep and dark. But don't worry, I really don't think I could fall. I mean, right now I have so many good things to not fall. I have my planet, my friends, my battalion, Echo-"

"Echo?" She asked, a new curiosity in her voice.

You bit your lip as you smiled, a small giggle falling from your mouth.