Chapter Twenty Two

"Echo get down!"

A shout rang over the battlefield, and Echo quickly fell, rolling out of the way as a malfunctioning droid speeder whizzed by. He looked up and saw as a cannon blast landed in the middle of a bunch of troops. He ignored the pain that threatened to rip through his heart as he turned away from the now dead brothers. He pushed himself up, running back into the battle.

"We need to flank them!" He yelled as he caught up to Fives.

"That's what we've been trying to do!" Fives responded, ducking as a shot flew over his head. Echo quickly blasted the droid who'd aimed at his twin, and Fives popped back up.

"General Skywalker, we still haven't been able to move around the enemy," Fives spoke into his comm link.

"Don't worry, Fives. Ahsoka and Rex have this under control," Anakin responded.

"Of course they do, they always get the fun jobs," Fives grumbled, and Echo shook his head. Nearly dying was certainly not his idea of fun. He briefly remembered his double date with y/n, along with Shaak Ti and Fives. He remembered how you'd talked about crashing and how fun it had been, Fives agreeing.

Why did he get stuck with the daredevils?

"Echo, Fives, want to have some fun?" Rex called over the comms. Echo saw Fives perk up where he was, responding quickly.

"Always down to have some fun. What do you need us to do?" Fives asked.

"I think I'd rather have a break from fighting," Echo said, but Rex seemed to ignore his comment as he explained the plan.

"We need you two to sneak around and get to their communications tower. You'll need to take it down, you think you can do that?"

"Sounds easy enough, what do you think, Echo?" Fives said, turning to look at his brother. Echo nodded, turning to look at the tower.

"Just remember, I have someone waiting for me back home, so if this goes bad, you'll have to tell her."

"I've got someone as well," Fives stated, a dreamy sound coming to his voice as Echo guessed he was thinking of the Togruta Jedi.

"Heads in the battle, boys," Rex said, and Echo shook his head and waved at Fives. Fives nodded and began to run with him.

They ran to the back of the troops, away from the enemy. Echo followed Fives into the trees that were surrounding the edges of the battlefield. They wrapped around the edges so that the clones would be under the cover of them until they reached the side of the base the tower was at.

"So, what are your plans when we get back?" Fives asked, peering around a tree as droids marched by.

"Plans? I don't have any plans," Echo responded.

"Nothing special with the lady?"

"Well, we'll probably go out on a date, might stay at her quarters, but nothing planned."

"Maker, you're even more boring of a riduur than you are a verd."

"Oh please, you don't even know what those words mean," Echo said, rolling his eyes from behind his helmet.

"Riduur is partner, and verd is soldier," Fives countered. He stopped in his tracks to remove his helmet and stick his tongue out at Echo. Echo just nudged him forwards with his blaster.

"Keep moving, I want this battle to be over so I can rest."

"You gonna comm y/n?" Fives teased, slipping his helmet on.